Rear hub failure

OB_jim p

Registered
Has anyone heard of rear hubs cracking. From a very reliable source i was told today that a dealer in NY has replaced two rear hubs that had cracks in the them. this was found when the tires were replaced. That is all the info i have, i will try to get more.

[This message has been edited by jim p (edited 08 September 1999).]

I checked my hub after i made the post and found a 90 degree section that apears to have a casting flaw. I have 11 cracks that are very easy to see. I will be at the dealer in the am for a dyno run and ask them to look at it before the run.

I have had the same thing from day one, and so far have had no problem. I do have a click clunck from the rear now, with mild acceleration. My dealr is lazy and blames it on the chain. I will be going to a new dealer soon.

Took the Bus to the dealer today and they pulled the hub and some of the cracks go all the way thru. They are replacing it no questions asked.

Its a casting flaw even the new bikes have it. I myself have observed it on showroom new bike. Mine has it too and no problems and i have over 4000 miles on it. not to worry!

A friend of mine took his silver/blue into the shop over the weekend, same problem, replaced under warranty.

Hmmmmmm...sounds like it's time to visit the dealer. Need to take my back wheel in to get the tire replaced anyway.

If anyone has an OEM hub that doesn't have "casting flaws" you've got one of a kind. All of them have the cosmetic flaws, you can polish them out, that what I plan to do...

[This message has been edited by Martinm2 (edited 09 July 2000).]

I have been listening to a wierd noise coming from the rear wheel all day, it only happens when the rear wheel is at a certain point is this the same thing? A wierd clicking noise. Also do they replace the entire wheel or just the hub?

2000 sliver/blue, 1500 miles, sprocket bolts move about 1/2 inch forward/backward.
Is this too much?
Chain is also maxed out in adjustment, just ordered 42 tooth Vortech sprocket

I have 9000 miles on a 00

saw the cracks start at 1500 and have grown since. Need to see the dealer.

[This message has been edited by buzzlatka (edited 10 July 2000).]

Back