Rear Brake is soft

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
Just put new pads on the rear, now they are soft, not a huge problem but would like them tight like before.
I can not adjust the lever anymore without have the brakes on all the time. Not a good thing.
Not sure if air is in the line or not, roaters may still have something on them too was my other thought.
Anyone?

my rear brakes are soft too. strong enough to slow the bike down but wont lock up the back tire
wink.gif

You should be breaking in the pads for the first 500 miles. As the brakes start to seat-in, you will notice more grab... ;)

There is air in the line, also if the tech added brake fluid after and during bleeding, make sure he used DOT 4, and not DOT 3.:;):

Sounds like air. The rear brakes should be firm enough able to lockup the rear wheel, so you'll have more accurate control.

Use DOT4 fluid, and bleed the rear until it firms up.

They are not even close right now, need to ride it a bit if the rain will stop. Will check and see if there is air in the line but there should not be at all since the brake line was never exposed to air, but who knows, I too thought it felt like air in the line.

Took my bike to the shop to get my new front tire put on, the back I did myself, and on the way I went from ridding a motorcycle to a jet ski. The sky opened up and I was caught in a down pour like I have never been in before.
Some good came out of getting completly soaked the rear brake is now working good, must have been something on the rotor or pads. I cleaned them but guess not well enough.

Back