Rear axel nut

Strife

Donating Member
Registered
Changing out the rear tire. Axel nut on Busa is 36mm correct? I need to go buy a socket and just wanna make sure I get right one. quick search tells me that is what it is.

theres a tool in the tool kit(if u have one) thatll get the job done. i use a 1 5/16 or 1 7/16 cant remember tho

36mm or 1 7/16" works too...torque is 72.5 ft lbs!
Posted via Mobile Device

And remember to put the cotter pin back in. I didnt and the nut tightened itself and had to use a montsrous 3 foot wrench and step on it with my body weight to get it off....

I recently bought a bag of 100 cotter pins from Fastenal for like 5 bucks so I never run out when I break them and have to replace them :laugh:

And remember to put the cotter pin back in. I didnt and the nut tightened itself and had to use a montsrous 3 foot wrench and step on it with my body weight to get it off....

I recently bought a bag of 100 cotter pins from Fastenal for like 5 bucks so I never run out when I break them and have to replace them :laugh:

Does his bike use a cotter pin ???
Posted via Mobile Device

wow. i figured it would work itself loose not tight.. that would have been something to see you bouncing on that wrench lol

wow. i figured it would work itself loose not tight.. that would have been something to see you bouncing on that wrench lol
Yeah me too... And i use a torque wrench so i KNOW i did not tighten it more than 72 ft lbs.

I broke my 3/4 to 1/2 adapter on my breaker bar trying to get it off and had to go get the wrench from my uncles :laugh:

That's what rattle guns are for. :whistle:

EDIT: Russell, how does a cotter pin stop the nut from over-tightening? Do you have holes drilled through the nut itself?

The castle nut Gen1s have are slotted for the pins to slip through so it stops the nut from tightening or loosening.

9-2.jpg

That's what rattle guns are for. :whistle:

EDIT: Russell, how does a cotter pin stop the nut from over-tightening? Do you have holes drilled through the nut itself?

On the GenI it uses a castle nut with slots for the cotter pin. GenII uses a "lock nut" no cotter pin needed. I drag race my Gen II and have done many sprocket changes, and having removed the axle nut several times have not had a problem. Proper torque and RED loktite everytime works very well.

Try a little anti seize next time...axle nuts don't get tighter on their own :laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for all the replies! Job already finished. 20min job taking my time. Cotter pin and everything tightened up to spec. It's a Gen 1. 06 fastest colors. Black and charcoal(grey)! :beerchug:

Seems I might be taking a 750mi(1500 round trip) road trick tomorrow so bought a new tire for the rear. First time using a Shinko. I Know my postings seemed pro Shinko in the tire threads concerning Shinko tires. I always said they work for their intended application. The place that had a tire in stock and a mechanic on hand to swap it only had the 009 raven in stock. Cost me $25 for mount and balance. I'll be heading to Shelbyville TN.

Back