** REAL WARNING ** MONKFISH

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I have never head of Monkfish before, but if any of you know what it is and eat it on occasion click on the link.

Apparently boxes labeld "Monkfish" actually contained puffer fish.

Here is a quick exerpt from the article to get your attention:

May 25, 2007 -- The FDA today warned consumers not to buy or eat monkfish because it may actually be puffer fish containing a potentially lethal toxin called tetrodotoxin.

The FDA's warning comes after two people in the Chicago area became ill after eating homemade soup containing the mislabeled monkfish. One of those people was hospitalized due to severe illness, says the FDA.

http://www.webmd.com/news/20070525/fda-dont-eat-monkfish

Thanks for the warning, there's a local restaurant that serves Monkfish and I was actually going to try it.

HMMM? Not sure I would eat one in the first place. But from what I hear they are good eating.

monkfish540.jpg

(bigoltool @ May 29 2007,12:35) HMMM? Not sure I would eat one in the first place. But from what I hear they are good eating.
THAT is one nasty and evil looking fish.

I would be worried about pay back if I ever ate one!!
crazy.gif

I love Monkfish... Thanks for the heads up!

Thousands of Japanese eat the poison puffer (they call it fugu). You even have to be licensed to prepare the fish.... but people still die every year from eating it.

Not me

Monkfish tastes very similar to lobster but for a lot less $$$.

--Wag--

if you are ever in seattle, go by the market at pike place... they always have a monk fish in the ice and everytime I've been, they are trying to scare the shid out of someone with it... they pull the tail through the ice and make it jump...got me the first time too
wow.gif
laugh.gif

(Wag @ May 30 2007,00:37) Monkfish tastes very similar to lobster but for a lot less $$$.

--Wag--
It is actually called the poor man's lobster! I used to manage a couple of Whole Foods markets and every grilling season I would cook some in store and sell tons and tons of it. If you like lobster you will like monk fish... A smart seafood manager does not I repeat does not keep a whole monkfish in store. They are uglier than a naked mother in law.

(jessup @ May 30 2007,06:25)
(Wag @ May 30 2007,00:37) Monkfish tastes very similar to lobster but for a lot less $$$.

--Wag--
It is actually called the poor man's lobster! I used to manage a couple of Whole Foods markets and every grilling season I would cook some in store and sell tons and tons of it. If you like lobster you will like monk fish... A smart seafood manager does not I repeat does not keep a whole monkfish in store. They are uglier than a naked mother in law.
I'm dyin' laughin' over here!

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

Back