Ready for a rear tire, advice needed

Highlander

Donating Member
Registered
I've got 3800 miles on my '07 now, and ready to replace the rear tire. The front tire looks good. I was thinking about staying with the Bridgestone brand, to keep them matched up, until the next time when I'll replace both.
I'm no knee dragger, just run the curves at a spirited pace, often, two up. Your advice is appreciated!
It sure has been a fun 3800 miles!  
biggrin.gif

Although many will tell you the stock Bridgestone BT015 is junk, they are really a good tire. You can drag your knee all day long on those puppies and run them right out to the bitter edge. They handle very well and give about the same mileage as the PP's and Qualifiers.

If it were me, I'd stay with the 15 since your front is a 15 as well!

Just replace it with the stock tire for now  
thumb_up.gif
+2

The stocker did fine for me when I replaced my rear the first time. I have about another 1000-1500 miles before this rear wears out and I will then replace both front and rear. I have read others that say 1 front for every 2 rears. That seem to work for me as well. I don't know if it makes that big a difference, but IMHO, keep matched sets when dealing with your tires.

Take a close look at your front.

They tend to sort of cup on the edges from low speed cornering around town and to some extent, in the twisties. I went through the same thought process as you with my OE tires and when I really looked down at the profile with the bike up on a stand and the wheel slowly spinning, and a quick hand inspection along the surface I thought better of it and replaced them both.

If your riding two up alot, your mate back there, dont skimp on the rubber!

My $.02

Mine was 4300 miles on the stock tires.. I'm just going to replace the rear with an OEM tire. Towards the end of the season I should be ready for tires again... So I'll just replace both with something different/matched.

Go back stock. You will more than likely get 12K + on the front. By time you've gone through three rears you should know what you want to try next. Nothing wrong with the Bridgestones. I run Michelins.

i had Dunlop D208s put on when I bought mine in '05-loved those for the $$.
switched to Dunlop's new qualifiers last year n those are even better-been thinkn about a shinko rear but as soft as they are and w/all the miles I put on the bike, I'd burn'em up too fast so gettin another Qualifier soon
beerchug.gif

Although many will tell you the stock Bridgestone BT015 is junk, they are really a good tire. You can drag your knee all day long on those puppies and run them right out to the bitter edge. They handle very well and give about the same mileage as the PP's and Qualifiers.

Thought the 07' came with the BT-56.
rock.gif

my buddy at the shop just talked me into a Pirelli or a Mich. Pilot-whichever he can get here by friday for me to swap tires-got a big meet n greet with my RR Fam. down in IL. saturday.

I'll give a report back here (as i usually do
beerchug.gif
) after the weekend n I get some miles in...that is, if we dont get pizzd on all weekend
guns.gif

Thought the 07' came with the BT-56.
rock.gif
They do come with bt-56s, the '08s come with bt015
winkold.gif

my buddy at the shop just talked me into a Pirelli or a Mich. Pilot-whichever he can get here by friday for me to swap tires-got a big meet n greet with my RR Fam. down in IL. saturday.

I'll give a report back here (as i usually do
beerchug.gif
) after the weekend n I get some miles in...that is, if we dont get pizzd on all weekend
guns.gif
Hey D, let me know how they match up against the Qualifiers !! I love my Qualifiers, but want to try the Perelli Corsa III's, and the PP 2 CT's.

Back