Read a book lately?

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
Mystery, Scifi, Technical?

I do alot of reading on the internet, but the last two "actual books",(other than the bible at church), were work related.

Better than Good by Zig Zigler

and

The question behind the question by John G. Miller

I read a lot....

Currently Reading: A Templar Novel: The Knights Of The Black And White by Jack Whyte. Not a bad read so far. It is the 1st of a Trilogy. In the past few Months I have read Bisingr By Christopher Paloini. This is the Third Book in the series that started with Eragon. Great Series. Also The Serise Titled: His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass) all by Philip Pullman are all great books.

Not the kind of books that the majority of .org members would enjoy, but I'll post up links to the last four books I've read. :whistle:

The Long Descent' by John Michael Greer
Review: 'The Long Descent' by John Michael Greer | Energy Bulletin

The Mess They Made By Gwynne Dyer.
The Mess They Made | Straight.com

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
globeandmail.com: One Hundred Years of Solitude

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins
The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins - Reviews, Books - The Independent

cheers
ken

Currently reading "Brothers" by David Talbot. A book on the JFK years as told from Robert's point of view. Great book, GREAT!

Last edited:
I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

If any of you like non-fiction try these:

Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis. Analyzes the relationships between our founding fathers.

Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts. Shows the impact of women during the American Revolution. Abigail Adams would have made an excellent president.

The Children of Henry VII by Alison Weir. She's an expert on British history, especially the Tudors and Plantagenets. She also wrote a very good book about the Princes in the Tower and the Wars of the Roses.

If you like spy/suspense novels, try Daniel Silva. He has a great series in which the main character is a Moussad assassin named Gabriel Allon. There are several books in the series now, but the first one is The Kill Artist. I'm a little worried about this series because he's really starting to crank the out so I'm afraid the quality will suffer.

But the most moving book I've read lately is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I like the book so much I don't want to see the movie.

I just finished Anegels and Demons - good book with some great twists

I can't remember which one I just started though... It's been one of those weeks :moon:

Great place for book lists is Welcome to Goodreads. Try it! You'll like it! My profile is here: Lou (louwags) - Rio Rancho, NM with all the books I've remembered reading.

I'm reading, "Why I am not a Christian," by Bertrand Russell and, "Einstein:His Life and Universe," by William Isaacson. Both excellent reading.

--Wag--

I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I like the book so much I don't want to see the movie.

:thumbsup::beerchug:

Being Canadian I don't bother much with the Founding Fathers, but if I was American that sounds like something I would read.

cheers
ken

I read a lot....

Currently Reading: A Templar Novel: The Knights Of The Black And White by Jack Whyte. Not a bad read so far. It is the 1st of a Trilogy. In the past few Months I have read Bisingr By Christopher Paloini. This is the Third Book in the series that started with Eragon. Great Series. Also The Serise Titled: His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass) all by Philip Pullman are all great books.

Thanks for the new book idea!

I just finished Anegels and Demons - good book with some great twists

I can't remember which one I just started though... It's been one of those weeks :moon:

This is my next read.....right after The Nights in Rodanthe. Gotta read the book before seeing the movie!

Did you know Angels and Demons comes out in May?

I love ot read, cant seem to find time to do it much anymore.. I Have a bad habbit of not stopping tho. I catch my self up at 3am pouring over a book.

Last book i read was Black Flies. its a book written buy a green paramedic in Harlem NY, goes thorugh a lot of stuff. Pretty much guy burned out in 11 months. was a good read.

This is my next read.....right after The Nights in Rodanthe. Gotta read the book before seeing the movie!

Read Angels and Demons before you see the movie. Great book but like The Davinci Code some of it will be lost in the movie.

Another good book: The Last Templar , it was recently turned into a miniseries. I saw about the first hour and it looked ok. The DVR crapped out so I missed the rest of it. The book was great.

The non-ficton ones you mentioned sound good. I think I will check them out. Also my all time favorite mindless summer on the beach fun read: Where in the World is Joe Merchant by Jimmy Buffett.

I read but I don't read fiction except for every once in a great while. I figure if I'm going to put time into it I want to get something out of it.

Lately I've been reading a lot on books that deal with Iraq and the war there. All have been great reads, some better than others of course

Big Boy Rules by Steve Fainaru - great book but politically motivated

A Bloody Business by Colonel Gerald Schumacher - great book but a couple years old, many changes have happened since printing

McCoy's Marines, Darkside to Baghdad by John Koopman - great book from imbedded reporter that rode into Iraq with the USMC 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment. Interesting enough one of my co workers was active duty at that time and assigned to the three-four. He's gave me some insight and the book is written pretty much as he tells it as well.

Highway to Hell, dispatches from a mercenary in Iraq by John Geddes - I'm almost done with it, been a great book with much insight

Next up on deck sitting here on my desk is:

Making a Killing, The explosive story of a hired gun in Iraq by Captain James Ashcroft

I read some of the Bible everday but havn't had time to pick up a book in a long time. The last book I did read was the Left behind series. I have all the books but still have to read the last few. I'm not a very fast reader so books take awhile to finish:laugh:

Read Angels and Demons before you see the movie. Great book but like The Davinci Code some of it will be lost in the movie.

Another good book: The Last Templar , it was recently turned into a miniseries. I saw about the first hour and it looked ok. The DVR crapped out so I missed the rest of it. The book was great.

The non-ficton ones you mentioned sound good. I think I will check them out. Also my all time favorite mindless summer on the beach fun read: Where in the World is Joe Merchant by Jimmy Buffett.

I finished Davinci Code in about 2 days time (mom duties kept me from finishing it in hours :laugh:), so I'm sure Angels and Demons will be just as quick.

I have The Last Templar on DVR still....want a copy?

I seem to try to read 3 or 4 books at a time...

His Dark Materials
Salem's Lot (again LOL)
Marley and Me (can't stop crying so I put it down)
hrmmm...some other Stephen King book that escapes me LOL

I finished Davinci Code in about 2 days time (mom duties kept me from finishing it in hours :laugh:), so I'm sure Angels and Demons will be just as quick.

I have The Last Templar on DVR still....want a copy?

You can copy from your DVR to a DVD?

I seem to try to read 3 or 4 books at a time...

His Dark Materials
Salem's Lot (again LOL)
Marley and Me (can't stop crying so I put it down)
hrmmm...some other Stephen King book that escapes me LOL

We have Marley and Me but I think I will pass. I have a 13 year old Yellow lab with not to long left, and I don't think I could finish it. I may put Salem's Lot on the list, however...

We have Marley and Me but I think I will pass. I have a 13 year old Yellow lab with not to long left, and I don't think I could finish it. I may put Salem's Lot on the list, however...

I had never read any of king's books before this year. I started with the Dark Tower Series and ran through like 5 others. Good stuff.

Currently reading the "World at War" series by Harry Turtledove (Alternate Sci-Fi history)

And finished on the side the other day THE Monotauk project. Its a book "revealing" the philidelphia experiment and the secret governments experiments with mind control, time travel, etc. I don't believe it, but its an interesting read.

I had never read any of king's books before this year. I started with the Dark Tower Series and ran through like 5 others. Good stuff.

Currently reading the "World at War" series by Harry Turtledove (Alternate Sci-Fi history)

And finished on the side the other day THE Monotauk project. Its a book "revealing" the philidelphia experiment and the secret governments experiments with mind control, time travel, etc. I don't believe it, but its an interesting read.

I have always been fascinated by the Montauk Project, it seems it IS fiction, I did some investigating into the Physics.

Magnetic fields far greater that what they could have done,(to the ship), have been generated in labs, unfortunately no sci-fi people dematerializing or anything like that happened. DARN:banghead:

Back