MotorCycle Book reviews.  Time again...

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Bullet's recent thread regarding his uh..."Moment", Cache's butt, and three friends here in Tampa in the Hospital two weekends ago and one more down last week got me thinking that some extra reading may be a good idea...   Motorcycling  is an activity dominated by your mental outlook and knowledge.  What I'm saying is that a substantial portion of riding fast and safely is in your head.   So feed your brains folks, especially you northern folks that aren't getting the seat time I know you wish you were.  

Um Just another thought on books that cover riding techniques.  I have read 5 of them so far and all of them have something to add, something to think about, and maybe a tip or two that might save your ass.  While none of them apply 100%, each has given me something to add to my toolbox.

1. Codes book "Twist of the Wrist" Is full of excellent information, while sometimes insulting to ones intelligence it is a vault of sportbike technique... I recommend it.  TOTW II is ok, Better layed out and a bit more coherant but again the writing...well...lacks a little  Valuable books though...

2. <span style='color:red'>(Hands Down Best book  for real world riding tips!!!)</span>  Especially for the newer rider is "Proficiant Motorcycling" By, David Hough (sounds like Rough)  This book is just saturated with the knowledge you need to help keep you alive, may not make you a faster sportbike rider but it will prolly save your ass at some point and is far superior to Codes books when it comes to general riding knowledge and skills in a world where them little things like Curbs and trucks are a reality.

3. "More Proficiant Motorcycling" By, David Hough also.  It's pretty good but aimed more at the mental aspects of riding and control than his first.  Not Bad.

<span style='color:orangered'>4. "Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques"  Lee Parks.  Probably the best all around "sport" bike book out there.  Well written, and the material applies.  Excellent section on "Controlling Fear"  I highly recommend this book, infinitely more readable than Codes books, and more focused than Hough's.  This book can and will make you better, or at least safer.  Good stuff.    Not Perfect, but worth owning.</span>

Nothing can substitute for track time and professional training.  I still think that if you really want to "KNOW" how to go fast you have to go to a professional Roadracing school.  

That said however, buy the books, read them and apply what works for you.  Knowledge is power, and books that may help reduce or at least recognize SR's and other responses to fear are good tools.  

If you want to focus solely on sportbike technique and going faster, Code's books are a good start.  If you want tips to stay alive and ride faster and safer on the streets, buy Hough's "Proficiant Motorcycling" and Lee Parks "Total Control."
umnik.gif

Hugs and Kisses....

Rev

LEE Parks "Total Control" Review

Keith Codes Books Reviewed

I'm reading "Mars and Venus on a Date" right now and will post a review later. Shaddup, it fits in here somehow! ;)

Thanks, Rev. The book knowledge can at least help to show a particular motivation. Besides, it's always to have a good base level of information on topics related to your interests.

Thanks for the tip Revlis. I'm going to check on the availability of those titles here in the public library system, otherwise I'll be buying them shortly after the holidays.

Lance

For those in the Tampa, FL. area, "Proficient Motorcycling" is available through the Hillsborough County public library system. I just put a hold on one of two copies. Thanks again for the tip Revlis.

Lance

Ya'll are welcome, Just remember that you do not really have to go to the library or buy the books anymore.  Barnes and Noble and Borders both make it plenty comfortable to just hang out and read the books right there in the store...  
biggrin.gif

Just a thought.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1070244465 -->

I need books on tape! No time to read...when there is time, I'm riding!
biggrin.gif

But, thanks for the info Revlis...I've heard so much about TOTW, I'm guessing it's something I need to at least flip through...
smile.gif

Excellent ideas Revilicious.....but there are other things we can do to help keep us alive. The stuff in our head has to be transmitted to our feet and hands (brakes, clutch etc....) Hence reflexes, physical conditioning, and "ease of handling" the monster will ultimately save our asses in the end. Hence, a good friend of mine suggested to read all you can, study all you can and take road classes, but physically there are things we can do to make our reflexes faster and minds more alert out there among the cages....

1) Do hand, finger and wrist strengthing exercises. Better control over bike equals better control in a dangerous situation

2) Muscles in condition have greater contraction potential than those out of condition--hence, faster reflexes. (learned this in kick boxing). Some weight training and running will go a long way to helping this muscle conditioning and contraction potential. It will also make you more "durable" should you spill. Denser muscle mass will go further in protecting your organs from becoming donors!

3) Work with a speed bag if possible, eye hand coordination and reflexes are helped tremendously in this exercise.

4) Track time would seem to me (I have never been on a track) to really help you get to know the limits and centers of gravity (etc) with the busa. The more you know about angles, cornering and such, the better you'll be able to handling your way out of trouble.

5) Proper Gear....full gear
6) more gear
7) common sense

My .02 cents

One other thing.....I dropped my busa 4 weeks after buying her. Underestimated the weight of her.....some benchpress and leg press work might have helped because I almost was able to rescue her,......but a little tooo weak (I weigh only 175 lbs)

Oh Yeah, keeping yourself in good condition or getting yourself in good condition will certainly improve your riding. Not to mention if you are physically strong and flexible and you do have an accident your chances for injury are reduced by quite a bit. Yoga and weight training might be a good way to go. Though I have always found a Heavy Bag to be good excercise and very theraputic. The newer base weighted bags are a lot of fun and they allow you to follow through, try sweep kicking a traditional suspended heavy bag and you'll see what I mean.

Oh yes.....a heavy bag is of great use (along with a speed bag) for those days of frustration. In my kickboxing days they were obviously crucial and I think they'd help for conditioning more than yoga or walking.

and....Rev.....why are you trying to sweep kick? Ever do it to a human in an altercation? The stuff you see in movies is much more difficult to do on the street. To really get a guys legs out from under him requires great aim and leg strength. The average person would have an easier time just kicking someone in the shins or knee caps in an attempt to fend them off. But when properly done...you opponent is out of commission for a few moments while you plan your next move (s).

Well I am a big fan of using my legs for self defense, keeps the vitals farther away and a real fast hard front snap kick to the solar plexus has proven a couple of times to be a really quick problem solver.  Besides, since like High School I do not think I have ever been in a fight with a person who wasn't drunk...Makes them a little easier to deal with and they are generally moving real slow.  High Roundhouse kick is what I meant, I didn't really mean sweep kick...Sweeping a freestanding water filled 200lb heavy bag would result in a lot of uh discomfort, what I was meaning is that a Roundhouse is a lot easier to practice when your bag isn't suspended by chains so you can actually kick through the bag.  Dislocated left ankle can attest to the difficulties while trying to Clean an "EMPTY" box off a stack of boxes about 6' high with a roundhouse... Turned out the box I thought was empty was actually full of Steel bar stock...Stopped me cold and landed me real really hard, left ankle went the wrong way...  
laugh.gif
 Since then I check my target before screwing around...

Oh and No I never have tried a sweep kick in the real world, I try and stay low, but never that low... I think my favorite technique has to be the mystical "Fist Full of their Beans" Technique... May not be sporting but it really lets the guy know you are tired of playing, and it's the gift that keeps on giving...a few days later he'll still be feeling it...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1070553062 -->

Wait isn't this about Motorcycle books?

Anyone ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? I have heard about it for years, but have never gotten round to it.

Back