Radar Detector Headphones

OB_John Smith

Registered
I just got a Valentine One detector with remote audio adapter- what's the best way to set this up? I remember seeing a post about helmet-mounting the remote audio adapter, but now I can't find it. Also is there a way to mount CORDLESS headphones in a helmet and connnect them to a radar detector?

I have the Valentine One and remote audio. I put a Radio Shack mono earphone in my helmet. Remove the ear clip and it slips right in at the padding joint on an Arai or a Shoei. When I'm not using it , I coil up the cord and stuff into the back neck cuff and it stays just fine.

I put the audio remote under the rear seat and ran a cord under the front seat and out the right side at the front. I have about 4-5 inches of cord coming out. It sticks into a hole in the frame and stays out of the way when I'm not using it. When I'm using the detector, I pull the cord up between the front of the seat and the rear of the tank (I have a bra to protect the tank) and plug in. It works great.

AutoComm is the best answer.

Autocomm has a headset that fits in the helmet. When the remote audio unit is plugged into the AutoComm unit the headphone volume is automaticly changed according to ambient noise. This way you are not blasted out at traffic lights.

Autocomm has a web site

A story about Radar detectors on bikes.
10 years ago I had an FZR1000. I installed a radar detector with a little indicator on my bars and an earpiece in my helmet. Went directly to my favorite speeding grounds. Drove slow for about 10 miles checking if the coast was clear, turned around and wound it up to about 170mph (That was the king then). Slowed down to a leisurely 145 to cruise for a while. & Came across a State Trooper (maybe Falcon Cop?) who had pulled a car over across the grass median that was going the other way. He was in his car writing a ticket but he saw me. It seemed like his face almost was pressed into his drivers window as he tried to get a good look, I could just about see the veins in his neck & he looked red. I then thought What the F---, What happened to my Radar detector? I looked at the indicator on the bars & it was lit up, Then I realized behind all the wind noise I could actually hear the faint sound of the thing screaming at me. It was trying! The cop started up & made the move to cross over the median. I went back up to 170, off the next exit, back roads & into my garage. Moral of the story Make sure if you install one of those things on your 'Busa you can hear it at 192 MPH!
I could never get that one to be loud enough to be effective.

JohnnyB, that is why the AutoComm is best. There is a sensor in the cable that goes to the helmet that adjusts for ambient noise.

Not cheap but it works, 8,600 miles and no police interviews at the roadside.

AutoComm is distributed in the US by Top Gear, a sister company to the people who import ARAI and FM helmets. Top Gear is located in New York near Albany. Not cheap, but it is the last one you will buy. I believe they have a performance guarantee that if you do not like it you can return it.

Eric, Laurie, and Chris will help you with product or find you an area dealer.
518-449-8677 eastern time.

Valentine is sold mfg. direct only.

Back