Racin' on Friday.

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
A friend that just bought a 04' Gixxer 1K a few months ago is challenging me to a race at a local track. Now, he knows every mod I've made to my bike. His is stock and he's only ridden it a few times. He's pretty decent at ridin' but can't really launch. He even knows what times I consistantly run and still thinks he'll beat me.

Any advice? Is he just talkin' trash or diggin' his grave?

on the track it will depend on the driver , on the strip you should be able beat him without a problem

1K still a fast friggen machine! Busa will own it though!
smile.gif

if your are in the 9's you should win.
Don't underestimate those 1000's! I love my Busa and prefer it over a 1k all day,but I rode a '03 1k stock length, lowered,pipe and power commander and went 9.69 @ 144.
That was with a 1.65 60' and VP-U4 fuel.
Considering his bike is bone stock and he doesent have enough seat time I think I'll be OK. I just don't know if this friendly invite is because he's maybe sprayin' or something. He seems real confident.

Run it and at least then you will know. If he is spraying, you will find out real quick. Keep us posted. I would like to see the times and speeds.

I don't care if he is spray'in, if his bike is otherwise STOCK and not lowered you had better ring his NECK!

With your mods and lowered, you should be knocking on 8's, even NOT LOWERED you should be in the mid 9's!

Just don't FUBAR the start and you should be home free!
super.gif

I like the GSXR1k's but they just wheelie so damn easy. If you have half a clue on your launch you should be okay.

Josh
blues.gif

Just curious what times and mph you go?? Good luck!!! All you have to do is get out the gate, that 1k won't be able to drive around your Busa.

just make him all nervous.... if he's sprayin... he might be wheeliing more than he had planned also.
laugh.gif

I don't care if he is spray'in, if his bike is otherwise STOCK and not lowered you had better ring his NECK!

With your mods and lowered, you should be knocking on 8's, even NOT LOWERED you should be in the mid 9's!

Just don't FUBAR the start and you should be home free!
super.gif

I like the GSXR1k's but they just wheelie so damn easy.  If you have half a clue on your launch you should be okay.

Josh
blues.gif
Thanks for the support guys. My bike is stock height and length. He wont tell me if his bike is lowered or not.

Well, I went ridin' today with my friend. In anticipation of Friday he threw on a pipe and lowrered his 1K. He obviously had his launching down with his bike 2 in. lower, but the few times I got a good launch he was toast. Roll ons were effortless on my part although the few times he got a jump on me I was playin' catch up. The 1K was impressive, from about 70 mph to about 160 it steadily fell behind my Busa. After clicking 5th it really fell behind and kept on. What I noticed was crazy was that my needle was pinned @ 180 before I clicked 6th. I know it had to be waaaay off. Im having a serious problem launchin' the Bus' all she does is stands and spin's the wheel off at the same time (very unsettling feeling). I'll try to drop the psi some on Friday.

Well, I went ridin' today with my friend. In anticipation of Friday he threw on a pipe and lowrered his 1K. He obviously had his launching down with his bike 2 in. lower, but the few times I got a good launch he was toast. Roll ons were effortless on my part although the few times he got a jump on me I was playin' catch up. The 1K was impressive, from about 70 mph to about 160 it steadily fell behind my Busa. After clicking 5th it really fell behind and kept on. What I noticed was crazy was that my needle was pinned @ 180 before I clicked 6th. I know it had to be waaaay off. Im having a serious problem launchin' the Bus' all she does is stands and spin's the wheel off at the same time (very unsettling feeling). I'll try to drop the psi some on Friday.
Depending on the track and how well they prep it with VHT, you may find yourself hooking up a lot better than the street. Just be aware of that - it may want to stand up even more, but he'll be fighting it harder with the shorter wheelbase. Even with his lowered 2", the busa is already lower, longer, and heavier (did you look at his swingarm?). I wouldn't let too much out of the rear tire. But I don't know poop yet. Just spoutin' from what I've read so far. If my leathers arrive by the end of the week, I'll be makin my first passes the Friday after, most likely on a totally stock busa. I might lower it, but I don't have a trailer yet, so it won't be much...

When you go to the track on Friday set your air pressure at around 22#'s. And when you do your burnout, don't do it in the water! I don't know if you've been to the track before or not? While your doing the burnout ease up on the front brake and let it move forward a bit, lower your rpms so the tire starts to grab and then stop. Hope this helps. What kinda times are you expecting from yourself? Only a couple of days left!! You really should try to lower your bike before you go.

Jim

When you go to the track on Friday set your air pressure at around 22#'s. And when you do your burnout, don't do it in the water! I don't know if you've been to the track before or not? While your doing the burnout ease up on the front brake and let it move forward a bit, lower your rpms so the tire starts to grab and then stop. Hope this helps. What kinda times are you expecting from yourself? Only a couple of days left!! You really should try to lower your bike before you go.

Jim
Thanks LCW, I usually run about 25-27psi (rear). I roll the wheel through the box and do a rolling burnout to about half way to the tree, followed by a hard ass dry hop then I stage up. I ran high nine's before. Stock height and wheelbase. If I lower the bike I'm hopin' to be in the .55's to 70's.

The 03 1K isn't that much faster (IF any) then my 01 1K. You guys are right...You just can't launch the 1000...It wants to climb (no matter where you sit) in 1st and second gear..by the time, your already 1/8 mile down the track...I have since added a slew of mods to my 1000 and Dyno tuned it to 147HP at the rear wheel...The busa's should be doing more than that stock...If he gets you out of the hole and can keep it down, it will be a hell of a good race, but I have found that the busa's come on strong at the end of the 1/4 mile...Nothing better than having 300 more cc's.

Well how did you do GnT?
Thanks for askin' Busa Fever. Well lets just say I was disgusted with whole night. I didn't even get to race my Busa. The track by me has to be the biggest piece of sh*t managed track ever. After takin' Saturday off work in anticipation of de-preping the bike after the race I was really pissed. We trailered the bikes to the track and were the first ones there. Track rules state: anything faster than a 10:30 ET and 132 mph requires leather pants.( I was wearing dragin' jeans) Before even getting my numbers on my bike the track tech. (jerk-off) made me pull my seat and hump while he picked trough my entire bike to see what I had. He asked me what kinda times I expected to run, I replied 14 seconds with a smirk.
blush.gif
This has never been a problem before and I felt because I had a Hayabusa I was being singled out. Well it was true he said I couldn't run the beast. My buddy on his 1K got by with no problems. Every one of his runs were over a buck thirty and he even got down in the high 9's. No pant's, no problems for the 1K. He let me run his bike before we called it a night and I managed a 10:49 ET @ 137mph. My first time ever on his 1K and on the track with it. I intentionally had a soft start because I was unsure of the wheelie factor. Now I know my Busa will bust his ass because it pulled no where near as hard as my Busa. Well till' next time. Later, Grab

that sucks d00d. Thats what I'm afraid of this spring when I run my first time. I figure I'll just go out and get some leather pants.

Back