Race Report

Racer 222

The rider formerly known as Howlin_Mad
Donating Member
Registered
I arrived at the track early Saturday morning. I was tired and really needed some rest. I decided to take care of registration and tech. It was hot and I was in no rush to do anything. Unloaded the trailer and got the bikes started. Then I wasn't tired anymore. Funny how that works. Got out and did a few laps then turned it on. Finished with a personal best lap of 1:32. Crazy fast guys are doing 1:20's. So you all have some perspective.

Sunday morning decided to put new rubber on for the races. I was a bit rushed in order to make the practice session for the day. I got out and ran the tires as hard as I could to scrub them in. All went well.

Got on the grid for race one with one thought in mind...A good start. Well that DIDN'T happen!! Left the line in last place entering turn one. I ran up the inside of 3 riders on the brakes going into turn 2. I was starting to pick them off one by one when on about lap 5 I got hit by a huge gust of wind on my left side while knee down going to the right. It blew me off the track and I got the bike up and tried to run it off but had to bunny hop the curbing, that didn't pay off and I high sided. I landed on top of the bike as it slide back onto the track. Which was good as I was not sliding on the ground myself. I eventually got pitched off the bike again and the bike rolled onto my back. So I am now pinned under the bike in the middle of the track. I know I am not hurt but I can't get up from under the bike. I eventually squirm out and get the bike up as the crash truck comes out to get me. The bike fired right up and I wanted to get to the pits to get the repairs done. I had two races before my next one so the wrenching began. I had to get the steering damper off which was destroyed. Also needed a new clutch lever which I had in the "Crash" Bin.

Got the bike back together and had to run it without a steering damper. That is OK.

Race two was just as bad of a start. This time I found myself behind a good friend of mine and we diced it out all the way to the finish line. I got him by a 1/2 second. What a good race.

Race 3 was the same as race 2 other than the grid was totally full. We did a 2 wave start for safety. My friend and I started just were we left off and going back and forth. This time amongst a crowd. Man it was fun. He had me for some time until we caugt a guy and he couldn't get by, and I went by both of them and that ended the battle. I eventually caught another guy right at the finish line and beat him by a wheel.

All in all a good weekend for the last ride I will have in California.

Thanks to all who have supported me!

Marc

Good story man ... obviously you were wearing full gear and totally prepared for the track. Glad you and the bike were able to get back on the track and continue to race. Sounds like you had lots of fun!!

Hey Marc, sounded like a blast. After I get this quarter-mile drag stuff out of my system, I will be trying the track. I've been getting better in the twisties. Found some real good roads to practice on also. I really think that my confidence has built tremendously since I went to the Metzelers. Those tires really stick and I am very happy with them so far. Tread-life will be the x-factor too.

Brian

Marc you butthole, you told me your wasgoing to let me know and let me roll with ya.... I went by the store on Saturday to see you and they told me you was at the track, went back Sunday and you still wasn't working.... All in all glad you had fun and wasn't hurt in the highside.... And it's not your last ride in Cali, me and you got to go get it on... I came by with all my goodies on the bike, she's ready for you. We'll thats if we go straight line that is
smile.gif

I'll stop by today or tomorrow

mad.gif
Your last race and you didn't tell us?!
tounge.gif

Where were you racing?
Hey, all that is not as important as you're ok after your little spill. I'm jealous man, I won't get to do a track day this year, and here you are racing, crashing, fixing your bike between races and racing again. Good for you!
biggrin.gif

Hey, how's lil' Howlin' doing with his racing?

I just ordered all the parts to make lil howlin's 50 an 88. He should love the new power but he has given up on the racing thing until we get to Florida. The race was at streets of Willow.

Marc

Back