Race Generator

Hi, New to the forum.

I was browsing the web last night for odds and ends for my busa, I came across a race generator kit, looks like quite a neat piece of kit, had a look at the other kits they do and they seem like they will work well, has anyone heard of them ?

Cheers,
Jeff
Just looked at that kit, it does not specify the output in watts, I wonder if it can run a road going Busa with lights etc?
Why are you looking at this one?
You gonna race or road use?

Just looked at that kit, it does not specify the output in watts, I wonder if it can run a road going Busa with lights etc?

BDK indicates that they make one system and configure it for different bikes. Here is a spec sheet and it shows wattage at different RPMs.

8,000 RPM 37 watts 1.2 A (DC)
10,000 RPM 266 watts 3.6 A (DC)
15,000 RPM 479 watts 4.3 A (DC)

stock according to my lookup on this forum:

5,000 RPM 400 watts 9.4 A (DC) (The current is my calculation at 60V, feel free to correct with book specs.)

The alternator has a higher number of windings. Voltage is determined by the number of windings while current by the gauge of the windings. Thus the unit could produce a significantly higher voltage than stock while using its own rectifier to maintain the correct DC voltage. Current is directly proportional to torque so in addition to weight savings the BDK unit saves additional torque by reducing the current significantly. Small wire gauge and high voltage means, as the spec shows, that it has to be cranked all the time to produce minimal power, as one would do on a track.

BDK indicates that they make one system and configure it for different bikes. Here is a spec sheet and it shows wattage at different RPMs.

8,000 RPM 37 watts 1.2 A (DC)
10,000 RPM 266 watts 3.6 A (DC)
15,000 RPM 479 watts 4.3 A (DC)

stock according to my lookup on this forum:

5,000 RPM 400 watts 9.4 A (DC) (The current is my calculation at 60V, feel free to correct with book specs.)

The alternator has a higher number of windings. Voltage is determined by the number of windings while current by the gauge of the windings. Thus the unit could produce a significantly higher voltage than stock while using its own rectifier to maintain the correct DC voltage. Current is directly proportional to torque so in addition to weight savings the BDK unit saves additional torque by reducing the current significantly. Small wire gauge and high voltage means, as the spec shows, that it has to be cranked all the time to produce minimal power, as one would do on a track.
Well explained, thanks.
So it would not be useable for a street going machine, race only, by the figures you’ve just quoted.
The site says there is an extra 4 BHP to be had using this set up, not to mention quicker crank acceleration.
Interesting figures on the rotor speed at the pickup.... stock is 200mph as opposed to the BDK at 70 mph at the same crank revs.
That is a lot less mass spinning.
The price is certainly up there too!

Thanks for explaining Hayabusa. I am looking forward to Suzuki GSXR 750 Y model. Everything is satisfied here. Chris walker race rep, Harris rearsets, braided lines, Yoshimura generator cover, Datatool alarm, Christie TRE and gear indicator with shift lights, Brand new pair of michellin power ones. Gotta admit I'm not big on buying extra's for the bike, but I've always fancied a gear indicator. What's the benefit of a Yoshimura Generator cover, or is it an asthetic thing?

Thanks for explaining Hayabusa. I am looking forward to Suzuki GSXR 750 Y model. Everything is satisfied here. Chris walker race rep, Harris rearsets, braided lines, Yoshimura generator cover, Datatool alarm, Christie TRE and gear indicator with shift lights, Brand new pair of michellin power ones. Gotta admit I'm not big on buying extra's for the bike, but I've always fancied a gear indicator. What's the benefit of a Yoshimura Generator cover, or is it an asthetic thing?

"Everything is satisfied" from that RV Generator web site you posted?

These and other aftermarket stators are, in my opinion nothing but problems. I’ve been through 2 ricks motorsports electric “high output “ stators. First one fried their rectifier. Replacement lasted a couple months. Ended up going back to stock stator and an old rectifier off of another motorcycle. Works like a charm. Stick to OEM.

These and other aftermarket stators are, in my opinion nothing but problems. I’ve been through 2 ricks motorsports electric “high output “ stators. First one fried their rectifier. Replacement lasted a couple months. Ended up going back to stock stator and an old rectifier off of another motorcycle. Works like a charm. Stick to OEM.
Correct, my 99 Gen 1's regulator went down to charging only 12.8 to 13V so I swapped it out with a GSXR600K5 regulator/rectifier and it chgarges at 13.8 to 14.2V now! Perfect, and all OEM parts . . so yeah, stick to genuine I reckon.

Back