R1 wheel conversion problem

jumjum01

Registered
Hi.

When installing the R1 rear wheel on my Gen1 busa, I noticed that the rear brake pads does not brake on all of the brake disc. There is 10mm on the inside of the disc that the pads cannot "reach". The caliper cannot be moved closer towards the center of the wheel since it will rub against the wheel. I know that the busa disc is 240mm and R1 is only 220mm, which causes the problem. I cant find any disc rotor that will fit. Has anyone solved this problem?

20230801_080511.jpg

one way could be to download the TRW catalogue and surch there a fitting disc that has fitting values
dia outer / inner, etc.

i found one s. years ago - see att. - perhaps it helps

Attachments

• TRW - Bremsscheiben Katalog.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 87
Sae outlaw makes one I think.

Found that:

I was not going to post it as it seems to have the same problem as everything else in this stupid economy: Back-ordered.

Found that:

I was not going to post it as it seems to have the same problem as everything else in this stupid economy: Back-ordered.
Plus the oem one will stop it better than the sae one even with the 5mm missing

thanks for your replys. TRW dont sell brake disc to required specs. Early gsxr1000 K1 rear caliper should fit the 220mm disc (read somewhere in a forum post). I might just stick with the R1 OEM disc and busa caliper for now, brake power is decent, and yes it will lock up :-) Front calipers pistons where stuck one side and are now rebuild. Damn they are a bitch to bleed, no bubbels bleed out anymore, but they brake lever is still a little spongy.
Weight savings on R1 vs. busa wheels:
Front wheel: 970 grams
Rear wheel: 1980 grams
Custom axle: 138 grams
Total: 3.088 grams

Last edited:
That’s pretty cool, I didn’t know the k1 gsxr would fit. Makes it easy for me when I do it lol thanks for that info

Back