R1 wheel conversion specs and info

Saal

Registered
After reading these forums I decided to convert my 2007 OEM wheels to R1. Below are some specifications and observations during the process:

2007 Hayabusa front stock wheel with tire and rotor: 26.6 pounds

Axle is 16.67 oz or 1.04 lbs

2006 Yamaha R1 stock wheel with tire and rotors: 25.6 pounds

Custom sold core steel axle is 2.8 lbs - this was bought from a gentleman in Pflugerville texas.

Billet axle for Hayabusa R1 wheel conversion

Front wheel rotational weight change of about 1 lbs. However now a bit heavy on the front due to solid front axle weight, but the extra weight is static.

2007 Hayabusa stock rear tire and wheel assy: 37 .2 lbs

2006 Yamaha R1 stock tire and wheel assy: 31.8 lbs

Delta for sweet new look and less rotational weight is 5.4 lbs total rotational weight savings - that's a lot for one wheel.

You could get creative and reach out to a local machine shop for a lighter front axle. The "custom" one ain't breaking any time soon, but is heavy.

Pro tip - great time to do that pair valve mod and swap out OEM brake lines and rotors for something tasty.

Oh, have some stainless washers available for shimming the rear and front brake rotors. Other than that, the hardest part will be finding straight 2006 R1 wheels at a good price.

Big difference in handling, looks great and my MPG has gone up. Great mod cost me $450 for both front and rear wheels, $100 for the front axle, and I pressed new bearings in the R1 wheels before mounting. The bearing and seals were about $100 total and and also mounted fresh tires at $250 for the set.

$900 for everything and IMO well worth the labor and time.

20211224_163917.jpg

20211224_163950.jpg

20211224_164002.jpg

20211224_164024.jpg

I see this is your first post...welcome...great looking bike you have there and the rims set it off for sure.

I'm pretty happy with the OEM rims after picking up a set of rims from my buddy's HD not too long ago...now THEY were heavy...

After reading these forums I decided to convert my 2007 OEM wheels to R1. Below are some specifications and observations during the process:

2007 Hayabusa front stock wheel with tire and rotor: 26.6 pounds

Axle is 16.67 oz or 1.04 lbs

2006 Yamaha R1 stock wheel with tire and rotors: 25.6 pounds

Custom sold core steel axle is 2.8 lbs - this was bought from a gentleman in Pflugerville texas.

Billet axle for Hayabusa R1 wheel conversion

Front wheel rotational weight change of about 1 lbs. However now a bit heavy on the front due to solid front axle weight, but the extra weight is static.

2007 Hayabusa stock rear tire and wheel assy: 37 .2 lbs

2006 Yamaha R1 stock tire and wheel assy: 31.8 lbs

Delta for sweet new look and less rotational weight is 5.4 lbs total rotational weight savings - that's a lot for one wheel.

You could get creative and reach out to a local machine shop for a lighter front axle. The "custom" one ain't breaking any time soon, but is heavy.

Pro tip - great time to do that pair valve mod and swap out OEM brake lines and rotors for something tasty.

Oh, have some stainless washers available for shimming the rear and front brake rotors. Other than that, the hardest part will be finding straight 2006 R1 wheels at a good price.

Big difference in handling, looks great and my MPG has gone up. Great mod cost me $450 for both front and rear wheels, $100 for the front axle, and I pressed new bearings in the R1 wheels before mounting. The bearing and seals were about $100 total and and also mounted fresh tires at $250 for the set.

$900 for everything and IMO well worth the labor and time.

View attachment 1645714

View attachment 1645715

View attachment 1645716

View attachment 1645717Hi, is the R1 rear sprocket compatible with the Hayabusa chain. any help would be appreciated

Back