R.I.P. Tina Turner.....

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
I took my mom to see her lie - one of the best shows ever. She is known for shaking but she was a talented singer and the best part of the show was when she sat on a chair and sang acoustic versions of her songs with just a guitar player and a drummer. These people were special, not just your average American Idol winner.

I took my mom to see her lie - one of the best shows ever. She is known for shaking but she was a talented singer and the best part of the show was when she sat on a chair and sang acoustic versions of her songs with just a guitar player and a drummer. These people were special, not just your average American Idol winner.
She was an awesome force to be reckoned with...

Singers of her vintage could sing anywhere without all the electronics of the singers of today...and still sound the same as they did on records.

I watched a show not long ago where some of the big name singers of today were singing acoustic and most of them couldn't carry a tune....

These are some of my favorites. If your library has Freegal, these should be available there.

Proud Mary from this album, a real bluesy version:

1685013757677.png

Out of the varied recordings they did of "It's Gonna Work Out Fine", the coolest version is on this collection. I am not sure why but it sounds like they faded the recording for time but were moving into the next verse. (Disappointed!)

1685013884918.png

These people were special, not just your average American Idol winner.

No doubt. They were real working musicians who did massive amounts of work over a long period of time. That inevitably produces something very different over someone who is discovered and hand-fed a contract.

I love that Ike & Tina recorded the same songs in different styles. In terms of performance and interpretation, Ike & Tina outright blew away the Beatles. For diehard Beatles fans do not take that the wrong way and get your knickers in a twist. They admittedly had no interest in performing, but the fact is that the stage is a monumental challenge over the recording studio. (Paul did well with his stage orchestra later on though.)

Speaking of which, a third recommendation is Tina singing "Get Back." I cannot even listen to Paul do it again after hearing Tina belt it out the right way.

Back