What are we headed for

Projekt

Registered
This strikes a nerve. Synopsis: girl speaks Spanish on school bus, girl is confronted by another female student and is assaulted by said student because she was speaking Spanish.
Is this really what he are heading for in this country? Has anti-hispanic tension gotten so bad? Or is it an isolated incident?
See link:
Girl beaten for speaking Spanish

See text:
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- The Turner School District and police are investigating whether a conversation in Spanish led to the beating of a 15-year-old girl.

Susan Borjas said she spoke Spanish to a friend on a school bus on Thursday. Susan said she was threatened and then attacked by a girl she didn't know.

"She started screaming at me, saying, why am I speaking Spanish?" Susan told KMBC's Maria Antonia.

Susan said the girl started hitting her in the face as they got off the school bus on the corner of 39th and Hageman streets.

The ninth-grader went to a hospital Thursday night with large bruises on her face.

"They did a CAT scan -- Susan could not see from her eye; they were concerned with that," said Joyce Borjas, Susan's mother.

Susan stayed home from school Friday.

"What irritated this young lady to confront my daughter?" Joyce Borjas said.

Susan said she thinks the girl was being paranoid.

"(She said), 'I don't want you speaking Spanish because I know you're speaking bad about me,'" Susan said.

"Why do you think this happened, Susan?" Antonia asked.

"Maybe because she doesn't like Spanish," Susan said.

Susan was born in Honduras and came to the United States in 2005 when her father married a local woman. Susan has a permanent resident card.

"I don't want her to be afraid. 'Oh, there's another American girl who is going to hit me because I speak Spanish,'" Joyce Borjas said. "This mark will go away, but it's going to stay inside forever. I don't want her to be timid or afraid."

Turner School officials called the incident a "mutual fight." Susan said she was only trying to protect herself.

This is not the first controversy involving a Turner student speaking Spanish. Two years ago, a Turner student, Zach Zubio, was suspended after a teacher heard him speaking Spanish.

The suspension was later overturned, and his family is suing the school district.

No matter how you look at it, this is not good. There is a lot of animosity building between Hispanics and other races. Here in Texas we have a huge Hispanic population. The only thing that gets me is the favoritism given to Hispanics that is not offered to other races. For example, if they don’t speak English, that’s ok, they are allowed to take the driving test in Spanish even though road signs are all in English. I asked if my father-in-law could get the test in Hungarian, since that is where he is from, and was told “no, they only allow translation to Spanish. Not real fair if you ask me. This is a very hot topic and I don’t want to offend anyone but I see things getting a lot worse in the next few years.

So you went and married a Hungarian girl too? Mine was from Szigethalom...
Too bad, but it seems that racial tensions are resurrecting in this country or rather they never died out. Just look at what is happening in Jena, LA.

I just want to weigh in with my opinion........
I married a Japanese women and we spent over
$10,000 trying to get here a green card. And she
learned to speak, read, write english. I peeves me to
hear how some of the hispanic community and others think that they can
cross into our country and have all of the comforts that
we offer. If they come here and go thru the proper chanels
to obtain a green card, learn the language, and get a job
I say WELCOME, But If they sneek in
I say boot their a$$es back to where they came from. And let
me add this, I do not limit my views to only the hispanics this
goes for anyone who is here without proper documentation........

Yeah. Turner School District. Doesn't surprise me...

That said, I agree with Cerberus - there is favoritism shown.

My Dad was born & raised in Cuba. He fled Castro's rule and came here; he knew no English.

NO ONE would cater to him - if he wanted a job, wanted to goto school, etc, he **HAD** to learn English!! He studied hard and taught himself English. The only time I really speaks spanish is when he's with friends. Otherwise, he refrains - because this is the USA - where we speak ENGLISH! He gets so mad when he goes to a store or restaurant and hears nothing but Spanish. He never converses with these people in Spanish - he insists on English!

I think the frustration with so many Americans is that we must work hard for what we have and that (I'm going to pick on hispanics/mexicans) others just come into this Country are being handed everything on a 'platter'. Who is paying for all that? WE ARE!!

you know me and the MEDIA.... another example of media capitolizing on the SHOCK OF THE MOMENT. kids get beat up for skin color, wearing the wrong socks, acting gay, being in the wrong click, living in the wrong neighborhood, having non-wealthy parents, looking funny or ugly or fat, I saw a lot of kids beat up in school simply because they were weaker. Welcome to the inhuman race. I just see another "NEWS ITEM" that serves no purpose other than to propagate more bad feelings it is covering. Where's the news item about kids getting beat up because they are weaker? Oh, that is not as interesting.

"NEWS" isn't.

Interesting timing. our local paper just ran an article:

Hispanic people feel new hostility

Part of the article:
Miguel Munoz was standing in a drug store parking lot having a conversation in Spanish when a pickup pulled up beside him. The driver shouted curses, shook his fist and called Munoz an "illegal alien."

"He said, 'When you come to my country, you need to speak English,' " said Munoz, a Durham lawyer who immigrated legally from Mexico 17 years ago.

I can comment a bunch on this, but I will refrain...

It isn’t right for someone to get beat up for speaking a different language, however since illegal immigrants are forcing the issue and it is being rammed down everyones throats, it is totally not surprising.

People are getting pretty tired of people being able to break the law and our government not doing anything about it. and yes. it is going to get way worse. The American public has had enough of a lot of things going on lately.

being raped by large corporations, our government not doing anything about it, military issues, foreign issues, and last but not least immigrations issues.

Our country is about to imploded and I think we are heading for another revolution or cival war or something.

illegal immigration is just one of many issues the general populous is getting fed up with.

This country probably will not be one of the top 50 places to want to visit in the next 15 years. our leaders are too wishy washy and our country is losing its unity.

And the reason why our country is losing its unity? because people are no longer required to be an American citizen to live here.

People can get pissed off about that statement all they want, but everyone needs to think about the statement I just made and realize at some level it is true.

You can be Hispanic, Japanese, Filipino, a fricken martian for all I care, be whatever and come from wherever. but first and formost if you live in this country you need to be an American. Which means speaking English, waiving the American flag, paying taxes etc.

That isn’t happening, and this is causing more and more separation than ever before…

So like I said, beating someone up for being different, speaking a different language in public is by no means a reason to ever physically or verbally attack someone. But yeah, I can see people snapping and getting fed up with it.

So think about it…

(thrasherfox @ Sep. 24 2007,17:15) And the reason why our country is losing its unity? because people are no longer required to be an American citizen to live here.
This nay be a reason but I would rank a few issues higher.

The war, religion, the disparity between lower and upper class.

Few people know their neighbors, we're in a me society.

I speak Perfectly Good English and Spanish and I am Hispanic. Whenever anyone who is Hispanic tries to speak to me in spanish I Always Act like I don't speak Spanish. Why ? Because you are in America. In America you need to speak English. It is the Language of the country. Not only that if you continue to give them an out, they will take it. I love this Country. It's not perfect but I made it. They can too. But not Speaking Spanish
brave.gif

(Bosshound @ Sep. 24 2007,20:35) I speak Perfectly Good English and Spanish and I am Hispanic. Whenever anyone who is Hispanic tries to speak to me in spanish I Always Act like I don't speak Spanish. Why ? Because you are in America. In America you need to speak English. It is the Language of the country. Not only that if you continue to give them an out, they will take it. I love this Country. It's not perfect but I made it. They can too. But not Speaking Spanish
brave.gif
beerchug.gif
super.gif

(Cerberus @ Sep. 24 2007,14:50) For example, if they don’t speak English, that’s ok, they are allowed to take the driving test in Spanish even though road signs are all in English.  
There's a reason why road signs have certain colors and shapes. One doesn't need to speak english to know what to do at an eight-sided red sign or to know what a yellow circle with an "X" and an R in the 2 side quadrants means. As a matter of fact, the majority of US signs have no words at all.

Some do:
road_regulatory_signs.jpg

But most don't:
6722,1113493631,8.jpg

But there's always a chance signs could always mean something else.
laugh.gif

Road%20signs.jpg

(Projekt @ Sep. 24 2007,07:59)

"(She said), 'I don't want you speaking Spanish because I know you're speaking bad about me,'" Susan said.
The media once again sensationalizing  
argue.gif

She hit her because she thought she was saying something bad about her.  It had nothing to do with her race.

Standard kid stuff, how many of us got into fights as kids??

And again,

The US "people" don't hate hispanics.  They hate Illegal immigrants!!  There's a HUGE difference.

When the media talks about the "hispanic community" trying to change laws and help illegal immigrants, who are they really talking about??  Smart intelligent hispanic politicians who are using the the illegal immigrant problem to further their own career.  They don't care about the illegals at all, they want power.  Just like the rest of our politicians, they're all power mongers.

All the non-hispanic citizens need to make sure their anger is focused on ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS and not hispanics.  And all hispanic citizens need to make it clear that their hispanic community is against illegal immigrants.  Otherwise the situation will get worse.

The free lunch is only going to last so long, then who knows what's going to happen.

LOL! Those are some funny signs!

By the way, I too am Hispanic (Colombian), and I love my native land! BUT, there's a F*ing reason why I'm in the US and not in Colombia! Yeah, every country has its drawbacks. It's impossible to please EVERYONE all the time. But why would you voluntarily move to a country and then b!tch about it? Yeah, the U.S.A. is NOT perfect! BUT it's more perfect than many other places around the world. If you dont like it here, leave! But before you b!tch about where you live now, try to remember why you are here.

On the other hand, I never understood why people get pissed off when Hispanics speak in Spanish... News flash! NOT EVERYTHING WE SAY IS ABOUT YOU!!! And no, we don't speak in spanish to annoy "americans", we speak in spanish because it's easier to communicate in your native language. I'm pretty close to 50-50 in english and spanish, but I have many friends that communicate much better in spanish than they do in english, so for the sake of effective communication, I speak in spanish with them. I also have "Hispanic" friends who speak better english than spanish. I speak in english with them. There's been a few cases where people have said something to me because I'm speaking in spanish to another friend. Like, "We're in America, speak English!" I think that is one of the most ignorant things someone can say... Not only does it show their lack of knowledge, but it also shows how rude they are for interrupting a conversation that had nothing to do with them on the first place! I don't blame people for getting pissed off when hispanics wanted the national anthem to be translated to spanish also (because I sure as hell was pissed off, too), but mind your own damn business! If two people are having a conversation in spanish, it's none of your business. Now, coming to the US and expecting the laws to get changed to accomodate for your ignorance in not speaking English, that's a different story. If you live here, learn the language. But there's nothing wrong with not forgetting where you came from!
rant.gif

by the way, I am also against illegal immigrants... I had to eat a LOT of $h!T to get my green card, and if you want to have the same rights as me, you better eat $h!t too! Just jumping a fence isn't gonna do it!

WOW !!!!!

Someone is Taking Life a Little to Seriously.

Now I am going to say something that is going to PISS OFF A LOT of Legal and Illegal Immigrants OFF as Well...........

Give Credit to Where Credit is DUE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anglo Saxon European People came from England and Established The Colonies ( Killed off some Indians-but that is Your DEMON ) and established this country. African Americans Picked the Cotton and Plowed the Fields. So they have there stake in this country also. The REST of US Can go FU.. Yourselfs. If you were Born Here (Like Me) then you are Lucky. If you are an Immigrant ANY RIGHT THAT YOU HAVE TO BEGIN WITH IS A PRIVILEGE. The Rest You ( Like My Father Did ) Have TO EARN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back