Quick Fix

(HeloMech74 @ Sep. 15 2007,15:46)
(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 14 2007,16:03) i know how to ride. I average about 2000 miles a month year round for the last 6 years but a stock (or otherwise) busa cant hang with a built zx10 in the twisties no matter how good the rider is. My only chance is to get him in the straights. i came close but not close enough. i might end up having to suck it up and spend the money on a full exhaust and a few other things. just wanted to see if there was a cheaper route first. i got a wife i gotta keep happy
That's a pretty broad statement to make.  I out run plenty of liter bikes in the twisty roads out here.  All it takes is a good suspension set up and knowledge of how to ride.  I have lots of friends that are surprised at how well the busa can handle.
+1. Suspension setup is free if you know how to do it.

258o2204__Medium_.jpg

Also if you want to increase mid-upper, small airbox mod, 4 short stacks, drilled cans. You will lose bottom end torque with these mods.

(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 15 2007,17:12)
(HeloMech74 @ Sep. 15 2007,13:46)
(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 14 2007,16:03) i know how to ride. I average about 2000 miles a month year round for the last 6 years but a stock (or otherwise) busa cant hang with a built zx10 in the twisties no matter how good the rider is. My only chance is to get him in the straights. i came close but not close enough. i might end up having to suck it up and spend the money on a full exhaust and a few other things. just wanted to see if there was a cheaper route first. i got a wife i gotta keep happy
That's a pretty broad statement to make.  I out run plenty of liter bikes in the twisty roads out here.  All it takes is a good suspension set up and knowledge of how to ride.  I have lots of friends that are surprised at how well the busa can handle.
Ok. Let me retract that statement. Let me put it this way. The way my bike is set up, my skill level, and his skill level may be the determining factors. All I know is that I push my bike to the limit in the corners to the point where my boot drags the ground. I probably wont get much better than this. I outrun liter bikes pretty regularly myself but for one of these reasons i couldnt take this quy. Like I said, I came close to getting him but not close enough. And by the way HeloMech, what is your suspension set at and how much do you weigh?
If your boot is dragging before your knee, you are not off the bike far enough. You may also need to make an adjustment with the position of your feet on the pegs.

I have tried leaning off the side of the bike but couldnt get comfortable with it and it actually ended up making me slower. As far as my foot position, there isnt much i can do about that. My boots are size 14 wides

(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 15 2007,20:54) I have tried leaning off the side of the bike but couldnt get comfortable with it and it actually ended up making me slower. As far as my foot position, there isnt much i can do about that. My boots are size 14 wides
Are the balls of your feet on the pegs? If not, try it
smile.gif
Also, you should be a bit pigeon toed on the pegs getting the toes in as close as possible to the frame. That will get you body in the correct position to shift back and fourth (thanks for the tip Charlesbusa
smile.gif
).

You will be faster in the corners leaning off the bike than with a death grip on the tank with your knees. It takes practice, practice, practice to get to the point where leaning off the bike seems natural. It took me 2 years from when I decided I was going to drag a knee until it actually happened.

smile.gif

(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 15 2007,18:54) I have tried leaning off the side of the bike but couldnt get comfortable with it and it actually ended up making me slower. As far as my foot position, there isnt much i can do about that. My boots are size 14 wides
That’s what they make after market rear sets for. You should also be on the balls of your feet, I have a size 13 and my boot never touches the deck.

I will try that next time I go out. Right now I ride with the arches of my feet on the pegs. As for the rear sets, thats a good bit of money that I cant see spending on something im not sure i would like. My bike is the only way I get around so it has to be comfortable.

(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 16 2007,14:32) My bike is the only way I get around so it has to be comfortable.
Then I dont think I would be out street racing with it.

Bottom line is...if the guy on the liter bike is a good rider you will not keep up with him in the twisties NO MATTER WHAT. If you want to beat him then go buy a GSX-R1000!!!

Change your sprockets and see where you are then. You should be able to pull out of corners harder, but watch tire spin.

Also, lots of races are won on the brakes!!!

be careful out there...there is a reason road racers don't screw around on the streets.

(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 15 2007,17:12) Ok. Let me retract that statement. Let me put it this way. The way my bike is set up, my skill level, and his skill level may be the determining factors. All I know is that I push my bike to the limit in the corners to the point where my boot drags the ground. I probably wont get much better than this. I outrun liter bikes pretty regularly myself but for one of these reasons i couldnt take this quy. Like I said, I came close to getting him but not close enough. And by the way HeloMech, what is your suspension set at and how much do you weigh?
I am right at 6'1" and I just weighed myself at 249 (lost a little weight). I was running my suspension setup like is recommended here on the boards, but I have since rebuilt my forks and rear shock. I installed heavier springs into the forks, and on the rear shock. Also, revalved and different fluid. Overall for mods, these where the best bang for the buck period. I paid about 300 bucks for the parts on the forks, and another 200 bucks for the rear shock parts. I did the labor on the forks, and my buddy did the rear shock. The bike is like night and day in every aspect of riding.

like others noted... play with your sprockets... Also go for the pass in a lower gear... Back roades you might be able to drop it down to second gear coming out of a turn... once you've got it upright you can lay whack the throttle open and you'll come up really quick on him.

Not to poke at you or anything but maybe he's a really good rideer too? Maybe he knows the road better than you or is willing to risk more. You mentioned your boot dragging... I guess you don't ride with the ball of your feet on the pegs.... You would be surprised how far the busa can be pushed on it's side in the right conditiones.

I may have more hp than someone else but if he pushes things more than I'm willing he'll always be ahead of me.... just a thought.

He is a very good rider. We went out that day with about 12-15 bikes and everyone there said that he was the best in the group by far. (They were all part of a club. I just tagged along one day.) Im not ashamed to say that he is a better rider than i am but there is no way he knows THAT road better than i do. I just dont like losing. He is the first person to legitimately beat me and it sucks.

Bruh. it's no shame knowing that someone is better! Even if you both are equal you won't be able to beat him unless you add most of the suggested mods. The weight difference alone will keep him ahead. Now add your risk factor and his. I do understand your drive to win. And I'm going with a 16/42 gearing mod myslef. What drives me is the competition to improve and having fun trying! Ask Roc he kicks my @!!! But I'm getting better/faster...My 2 cents!!...NCpanther01.//

(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 17 2007,12:52) He is a very good rider. We went out that day with about 12-15 bikes and everyone there said that he was the best in the group by far. (They were all part of a club. I just tagged along one day.) Im not ashamed to say that he is a better rider than i am but there is no way he knows THAT road better than i do. I just dont like losing. He is the first person to legitimately beat me and it sucks.
I hear ya!.... but....

there's always someone quicker / faster / better / smarter / wiser / richer / etc....
beerchug.gif

I know that and Im cool with it. As long as I dont meet up with him. That and the fact that it happened on my road makes it sting that much worse.

(CaptHowdy @ Sep. 17 2007,15:46) I know that and Im cool with it. As long as I dont meet up with him. That and the fact that it happened on my road makes it sting that much worse.
Thinking like that never has a good ending. There's always someone faster than you anywhere you ride. Trying to beat everyone could end up with a trip to the hospital or worst.

I remember one day at Putnam Park in Indiana I was on my prepped 750 turning low 1:14's (lap record is 1:12.9) and people kept holding me up left and right. Just as I start getting through the traffic a guy on a 600 passes me and after a few laps is a couple turns ahead of me.

Bottom line, someone will beat you eventually. Even Valentino Rossi knows that.

What do you expect anyways, a 500+lbs long wheelbase bike against a new liter bike...equal riders the liter bike will win every time.

Back