QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 24volt setup

coreywiley

Registered
Hello everyone! I have allot of added accessories on my bike. To name a few I have over 1000 accent lights, modified rear view camera, radio,and a airride. We'll It seems like I have to buy a battery every two years so I wanna do the two batteries. First question, my radio cuts in and out so I'm thinking that it could be starving for power. Does this sounds about right and if so when I add the second battery will that solve the problem? I already have a lithium battery that I just installed. Does the second battery have to also be lithium or can it be a regular battery? Thinking about adding the charging system from tiger racing. I added a picture of it

image.jpg

No, it doesn't have to be a lithium battery. Understand that if you drop a lithium battery below 8 volts it's probably gonna be damaged. I'm no expert but I think the 24 volt part is for starting only. Hopefully a few of the EE on site will speak up, but I don't know how good it is to go from a 12 volt system to a 24 volt system without changing everything.

Your rectifier and stator will only produce around 14.5 volts. Every item on your bike operates on 12 volts. I don't think it will work out well doubling that. What you probably need is more current not voltage. You can improve that with a high output charging system from Frank at Powerhouse and if that doesn't do everything you need it to do you could probably go with a larger battery, especially with the lithium ( more Cold Cranking Amps CCA )

If you wire your batteries in Parallel you will gain more current and maintain 12 volts but charging with the factory system will be hard because it's not designed for that.

Like I say hit up some of the EE here.

Well now that I went back and read your post again. No the second battery doesn't need to be lithium and yes buying a larger battery or going with two batteries wired in parallel will give you more juice. Consider the high output charging system.

So it's no use to adding a second battery then or can I just get the higher output stator and regulator from power house and that alone will solve my problem?

I basically just want to play my radio with out it cutting on and off on me

LED lights draw very little current, air ride isn't drawing power unless it's inflating(running compressor), and a high output stator will be enough to run a radio.

If you have a pal that has a decent current meter, you could tie it in series with the battery lead and turn everything on to get a decent idea about the bikes current draw. All lights on, compressor running, radio on, etc.

Or just beef up the stator and rectifier and see how it goes.

Your battery dying every two years might have nothing to do with your bike and everything to do with how you maintain your battery.

Remember that you can't drain a lithium battery like you can an SLA battery. Have you done a drain test on your bike ?

My thing is if you were saying that your battery is dying all the time, I'd say beef it up, but saying that your battery haves to be replaced every two years makes me wonder about how you take care of your battery. Battery longevity normally goes to battery maintenance.

Do you put your bike on a battery tender ?

Yeah it stays on the tender how ever my airride comes on if I forget to cut the main toggle switch to it off and I forget to connect the tender

Can't do that with the lithium and it sounds like you found your problem. Over time taking the battery low like that will shorten it's life. Draining a lithium battery below 8 volts will cause that battery to fail.

Can't do that with the lithium and it sounds like you found your problem. Over time taking the battery low like that will shorten it's life. Draining a lithium battery below 8 volts will cause that battery to fail.

Oh I just got the lithium. I'm just tired of my radio fading in and out while I'm sitting at a light

Exactly. I think he's wanting a little more current than the stock Busa delivers to handle accessories. If I read his post right.

Back