Need some assistance (My Cage)

gabusa

Donating Member
Registered
Well soon I will be redeploying after 14 long months in Iraq. I put my car in the garage and placed the battery inside my apartment for the time I was gone. Question: Will be battery work with a jump when I put it back in my car or will I have to buy a new one. I bought it (maintenace free battery) two months before storage (Feb 08).

you might just throw a trickle charger on it for a little while...you might be good tgough...next time try a battery tender or something similar and youwont have ti worry about it
Posted via Mobile Device

Well soon I will be redeploying after 14 long months in Iraq. I put my car in the garage and placed the battery inside my apartment for the time I was gone. Question: Will be battery work with a jump when I put it back in my car or will I have to buy a new one. I bought it (maintenace free battery) two months before storage (Feb 08).
if you just set it inside? it will be dead as a doornail when you get back..

will it recharge? maybe a 1 in 10 chance..

Get a battery tender and set the thing on a piece of wood or plastic of some kind.. Batteries will discharge through the bottom of the battery if put on concrete..

Personally? I would just expect to buy a battery when you get home.. although with the above, you might get lucky..

Thanks for your service and keep your head down please :)

Get a battery tender and set the thing on a piece of wood or plastic of some kind.. Batteries will discharge through the bottom of the battery if put on concrete..

Are you smoking crack!!! putting a battery on concrete will not discharge a battery, its a urban myth.

Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth (storing on concrete). A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

Lack of use is one of the greatest enemies of a battery, especially an automotive battery which is designed to be charged regularly by an alternator. Any unused battery, regardless of its chemistry, will self-discharge over time and, if allowed to remain discharged, will undergo severe positive grid corrosion and premature battery failure. The rate of discharge depends on the type of battery and the storage temperature.

Hope that helps you!

if you just set it inside? it will be dead as a doornail when you get back..

will it recharge? maybe a 1 in 10 chance..

Personally? I would just expect to buy a battery when you get home.. although with the above, you might get lucky..

Thanks for your service and keep your head down please :)

They WILL NOT discharge on concrete.

Last edited:
Small charger would be my vote, cheap and most likely you wont need to do anything before reinstalling. Thanks you for your service and be safe over there!

Back