I'm usually not an airhead, but...

F=MA

Donating Member
Registered
I've really done it this time.

I had family visiting last weekend. I think most of my energy was devoted to keeping sane while hosting these very difficult guests.

That's the only explanation I can come up with for this...

I went to my car Saturday night to get a CD from the changer. In the process I left the keys in the ignition...in the on position.

This afternoon I got in the car and found the battery dead. Doh! I guess I'll ride the 'busa instead.

Here's the problem...
3945774773_6f1d8ee9ec_o.jpg

The battery is dead.

The car cannot be shifted out of park with a dead battery. I think there's an electrically driven sensor on the brake pedal. I don't know for certain because Infinity puts the owner's manual in the trunk...and there's no keyhole for the trunk...it's all electrically operated.

I can't get the hood open because of the shelves in the garage.

I can't easily take the shelves out because the car is in the way.

Looks like I need to go buy a floor jack so I can drag the car out of the garage tomorrow. Thankfully the car is RWD.

I can't stop rolling my eyes at the way this mistake turned out. Thought I'd share so someone can get a laugh out of it.

Last edited:
easy fix... I just use a cigarette adapter... there should be one lighter socket in car that is live with key off.. also, after the thing sits overnight with no load, the thing might just pick off enough of a surface charge to let the lockout disengage on the shifter..

My Chevy Trailblazer does the exact same thing. It's truly obnoxious.

Mr. Bogus has a great answer that I never thought of. Maybe you could buy one of those auxillary "jump start" boxes from Walmart.

Hey AJAY, is this the confused thread, or am I just thread confused again? What day is it? I knew this morning!

I hadn't thought of using a cigarette lighter charger. I'll try that first. Thanks!

hey if that doesnt work, at least the wheels are straight, you can try using someone's truck to tug it out a few inches to get the hood open ... good luck either way, think Bogus is on the right track though :thumbsup:

hey if that doesnt work, at least the wheels are straight, you can try using someone's truck to tug it out a few inches to get the hood open ... good luck either way, think Bogus is on the right track though :thumbsup:

Thanks, but I think if the charger idea fails I'll spend the $70 or so on a floor jack vs. risking damaging something in the drivetrain.

There is a little hole somewhere on center console, covered with little plug. Pull the plug and insert screwdriver in that hole (shift lock), it will disengage solenoid lock and you will be able to switch to N.
The 'shift lock' system has a solenoid that will release the shifter when all of the following are true:A) The ignition switch/key is in the ON position
B) The brake pedal is depressed
The ignition switch/key is interlocked via a cable, the brake pedal is interlocked via an electric solenoid. By inserting the key into shift lock release, you mechanically bypass everything and the shifter is allowed to work.

Last edited:
There is a little hole somewhere on center console, covered with little plug. Pull the plug and insert screwdriver in that hole (shift lock), it will disengage solenoid lock and you will be able to switch to N.
The 'shift lock' system has a solenoid that will release the shifter when all of the following are true:A) The ignition switch/key is in the ON position
The ignition switch/key is interlocked via a cable, the brake pedal is interlocked via an electric solenoid. By inserting the key into shift lock release, you mechanically bypass everything and the shifter is allowed to work.

I had to the same thing when I got home from Rayabusa's funeral. Someone left my dome light on and killed the battery after 4 days. Had to move the car to jump it. Found the interlock bypass hole and did just this to be able to move it.
Good luck and I feel your pain.

Thanks Vic. I tried that last night before I posted and was unsuccessful. That's one of the reasons I'd hoped to get the owner's manual out of the trunk.

I will try that again this morning. I may not have been pushing hard enough...though I thought the amount of force I was using was reasonable.

Aussiekeeper: No thanks...I'd like my vehicle to last beyond 130,000 miles. :poke:

Tried it again this morning. Used a flashlight this time to get a better look in to the "shift lock" hole. There's a piece of plastic that blocks half the slot, and that's what my screwdriver couldn't get past. I used a smaller screwdriver and it worked.

I'll probably buy a battery charger anyway. That'll be less hassle than trying to jump start a battery that's almost completely discharged.

Thanks for the help everyone. I knew collectively you were more knowledgable than I am as an individual.

Dennym you're only laughing "with" me because I have a sense of humor. :laugh:

Good job~!~ :beerchug:

Much better than taking the roof off the garage and lifting it out with a crane...but not as much fun~!~ :laugh:

Back