Questions about Genmar Risers/Lowering the Busa

T5eater

Registered
I just ordered a set of the GenMar 3/4" risers last night. I am looking to make the bike more comfortable. However, I am at a dilemma... I can't decide whether to take advantage of the risers and lower the bike, or leave it at stock height.

One of the cons of lowering the bike is being concerned about dragging a body panel (either in a corner or on a speed bump). The other is that I am nervous about lowering the bike and using the stock stand. Thus, I am looking at another $180 for an adjustable kickstand.

The biggest pro of lowering the bike is the awesome look of a slammed busa. Also pushing me to lower it, is being nervous about using the stock length brake/clutch lines with the handlebars being pulled nearly an inch up. I don't like the idea of these being pulled tight.

I guess what I am asking is, whether or not there any of my concerns are valid. Is the bike okay at stock height with stock brakelines and a 3/4" genmar riser? How likely is the bike to fall over lowered 3/4" in the front, in the middle hole of a set of lowering links, and on the stock sidestand? How likely is a bike lowered 3/4" front and 1 1/2" rear to drag a fairing in a corner? In normal everyday riding (speedbumps, driveways, etc.)? How likely is it that it will bottom out and hurt parts coming down from a wheelie?

Thanks in advance for any input.

this is too much: i ordered a set of the 3/4" genmar risers last night also. i have made a pretty close study of the hoses, cables, etc. and i don't think that there will be any problem raising the bars 3/4".

the side stand angle if you lower the bike? well i did the bit of fileing and grinding recommended by the pros on this site on my side stand and i don't see how lowering the bike could be an issue for you . my bike at stock height leans over pretty darned far, enough to where i have to huff to pull it up veritcal when my wife and i are sitting on it.

of course the best program may be to give the risers a try and then react accordingly.

i have been using 1 1/2 inch genmars for a long time now,had to reroute acc cables and watch hands in real tight turns but am very pleased with them.tie downs not a problem either.

I have heli bars and have to say I didnt have any problems with the cables (slightly different setup, but similar). I have noticed on some speed bumps with the rear end down 1.5" that I can scrape the bolts on the belly pan, but I just put my feet down and take my ass off the seat now and no more scrapin...funny what happens when you take the 220lbs off the rear suspension
laugh.gif

Sounds about like what I expected from all the reading I've done about it. I just wanted to get some firsthand accounts from those with similar setups. Thanks again for the input. I can't wait to lower this thing.

Sounds about like what I expected from all the reading I've done about it.  I just wanted to get some firsthand accounts from those with similar setups.  Thanks again for the input.  I can't wait to lower this thing.
I don't know about everyone else, but like Zuk said, when lowered, ride like motoX across speed bumps and such with you butt off of the seat. I have drug my lowers when forgetting to raise up.

Back