question on clutch abuse. .

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
lately i've been trying to improve my launching before the drag strips open for the season... I'm curious as to how hard you can be on the clutch.. I'm sure it gets pretty hot after even one launch.. but whats a safe range to be in here...

the way I did it the other day was ..launch.. ride around a little .. maybe 4-5 minutes then launch again.. maybe 5 times over 30 minutes

it's a stock clutch, and I have no plans to mod it.. I like playing around at the drag strip with friends.. but thats it.. just for fun. My bike is just a go anywhere (fast! ) and twistie toy for which the stock clutch is great.

If you like your bike and want to improve your launch definitly get a clutch cushion kit and remove the torque back limiter. It'll save your drivetrain and your wallet/ass in the long run.
http://www.carpenterracing.com

Just check under products it costs under a hundred bucks.

What your are doing is fine.  Just let it cool down between launches.  If you go back to back to back, you will glaze the fibers and cause the clutches to slip.

Oh and remove, I repeat REMOVE THE TORQUE BACK LIMITER!  I recommend this: Link no longer works

Brock's stuff is top notch and he will take care of you if you ever have a problem.

Josh
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078881623 -->

Brock's idea of a Clutch Mod...If every hundredth of a second (and smallest detail!) counts in your world also, this is the Clutch Mod for you! Thoroughly tested in some of the highest power 60 inch bikes in the country, this mod attacks the rotating mass equation in the Hayabusa clutch area. The additional energy no longer required to rotate the weight of a standard Clutch Mod can now be used to push the bike forward...quicker!---[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why I need this??? ... they admit it's worth only hundreths of a sec. .. but uhh.. haha I don't even look at the hundreths cuz the tenths and seconds are too high to worry about looking at anythign past that...

not trying to be a smartass or whatever... I do realize that it's probably tough as nails and I would never ever be able to hurt it.

I did a search on this "torque back limiter" thing you speak of and it came back "nerts to you" so what the heck is it?

You answered my main question, but opened up a whole-nother can-o-worms.

There is so much more to it than that!

Go on Brock's forums and read more into it.

With the stock piece smacking back and forth you could crack the crank case and do a lot more damage than you think!

If you can't find it, call Brock or Bryan and ask them directly.

If you do a lot of drag racing or plan on doing a lot of hard launches, I suggest you do this MOD before you race at the track again.

Pure, have you ever launched your bike hard enough and felt the clutch lock-up (almost like a driveshaft)? Thats the tourque back limiter. It was designed by Suzuki to eliminate back wheel lock up while down shifting (commpression braking).The mod eliminates this harsh lock up effect under hard loads, thus saving your gears,chain and ass from a severe beatin'.

Stock Busa Clutch= Piece of Sh*t

The simple clutch mod eliminates the chatter and is applied in everyday riding. The clutch cushion will save your plates. Anytime you launch and slip the clutch you are adding wear. A clutch mod is around 125 bucks, and a set of new plates is around 200 bucks, you do the math. I know cause I burnt mine to shreds racing, before I did the mods.
cool.gif

I dunno.. it may be a mistake but I just can't see spending that much on somethign that well admitedly is probably better than the stock.. and tougher as well.. I just don't think i'm gonna be ripping it that hard.. i mean i go and play.. but i'm no serious dragracer

Back