Question/Offer on fork springs...

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, looking at as many part numbers as I could stomach...the stock GSXR1000 05-06 use a .95 spring rate, in the same diameter and length (basically the same spring you'd order from some place like Racetech in a .95 rate). If not, let me know. Well, I have a set of GSXR1000 forks from my buddies ride, the same ones I used for the how-to rebuild your forks docu-photo post I done in the "Maintenance Do It Yourself" forum. The forks lower tubes are bent from an accident he had, with about 3,000miles on the bike. I have the forks, and was about to toss them, but thought I would post up and see if anyone wants to upgrade their Busa fork springs for cheap, I can pull them out, clean them up and send them off to you, just pay for shipping.
When I rebuilt my forks, it cost something like $164 for springs, seals, dust wipers and fork oil (springs being $110 of that cost). So, you could throw these springs in and have a better handling Busa for ultra-cheap. If needed, I could send the home-made fork tools as well, but for the cost of shipping you can make your own (also posted in my sticky).

I am not a master parts kind of guy, but again, I looked at several sites, which list the same PN for .95 springs for GSXR1000 and the Busa. So, I feel safe in thinking this "upgrade" would be a good deal for someone. I can have the springs out and shipped this w/e. If anyone would like the upper tubes, valves etc just let me know. The donor was a 2005 GSXR1000 with around 3k miles on them, and again the lower tubes are bent, so we wont be using them, better to help others out rather than send it all to the dump.

Charlie.

Nice Charlie!
beerchug.gif

Forks, uppers and valves are taken. Will get them apart this w/e and sent out.

Interesting. I know sqwat about this kind of stuff. If a Busa would work better with 1000 front springs. Why wouldn't the factory put them in? Or is it something to due with the Busa weighing 100+ more pounds?

(06BUSA @ Jan. 30 2007,06:48) Interesting. I know sqwat about this kind of stuff. If a Busa would work better with 1000 front springs. Why wouldn't the factory put them in? Or is it something to due with the Busa weighing 100+ more pounds?
For some dumb reason, the Busa was made with softer .85 springs, which means its good for a <160lb sport rider. But for twisties and better handling, you increase the spring rate, which gives you wider range of adjustability on the settings, increased control and feedback etc.. Racetech's website has a spring rate calcualator on it, for me, the .95 were b/w street and race range for my weight. Since installing, less bottoming out/nose diving during hard braking etc..

The 1000 being a more sport/track bike than the Busa, is already set up with a heavier spring.

(heavybusa @ Jan. 30 2007,05:45) Can I send you mine and you rebuild them while you are at it?
all_coholic.gif
Send them down with the springs, seals and dust wipers and I'll swap some out for you no problem *luckily I think your j/k
smile.gif

(CAT3 @ Jan. 30 2007,17:56)
(06BUSA @ Jan. 30 2007,06:48) Interesting. I know sqwat about this kind of stuff. If a Busa would work better with 1000 front springs. Why wouldn't the factory put them in? Or is it something to due with the Busa weighing 100+ more pounds?
For some dumb reason, the Busa was made with softer .85 springs, which means its good for a <160lb sport rider.  But for twisties and better handling, you increase the spring rate, which gives you wider range of adjustability on the settings, increased control and feedback etc..  Racetech's website has a spring rate calcualator on it, for me, the .95 were b/w street and race range for my weight.  Since installing, less bottoming out/nose diving during hard braking etc..

The 1000 being a more sport/track bike than the Busa, is already set up with a heavier spring.
Thanks for the info. I may upgade someday. Since I don't fit 160 pound rider race leathers.
laugh.gif

(CAT3 @ Jan. 30 2007,18:58)
(heavybusa @ Jan. 30 2007,05:45) Can I send you mine and you rebuild them while you are at it?
all_coholic.gif
Send them down with the springs, seals and dust wipers and I'll swap some out for you no problem *luckily I think your j/k
smile.gif
I am, you are safe.
wink.gif

(heavybusa @ Jan. 30 2007,20:01)
(CAT3 @ Jan. 30 2007,18:58)
all_coholic.gif
smile.gif
I am, you are safe.
wink.gif
I know, its my grammar right?
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back