Question for you knowledgable riders?????

hayabusaman05

Registered
Every now and then i hear people saying that the turned something up one in the back and down one in the front. What are they talking about.

Sprockets. They are referring to the number of teeth on the sprockets. The busa comes with a 17 tooth front sprocket. Often riders will drop down 1 tooth in the front (16 tooth sprocket) for better acceleration at the cost of top end speed. Increasing teeth on the rear sprocket has the same effect. I think dropping one tooth in the front equals adding two teeth to the rear. I think a 16 tooth front sprocket is as low as you can comfortably go with binding the chain and creating excessive wear and possibly rubbing the swingarm.

Wow. Two people beat me to it. Don't you guys ever sleep?
biggrin.gif

Sprockets.  They are referring to the number of teeth on the sprockets.  The busa comes with a 17 tooth front sprocket.  Often riders will drop down 1 tooth in the front (16 tooth sprocket) for better acceleration at the cost of top end speed.  Increasing teeth on the rear sprocket has the same effect.  I think dropping one tooth in the front equals adding two teeth to the rear.  I think a 16 tooth front sprocket is as low as you can comfortably go with binding the chain and creating excessive wear and possibly rubbing the swingarm.
I would rather accelerate faster. Don't care as much about top speed. Should i do the back or front or both and by how much?

To further on 06BUSA's explanation, the sprockets determine how fast the bike goes, and how quickly it gets there.

Increasing teeth in the back, or decreasing teeth in the front, makes the bike accelerate quicker, but lowers the top speed.

Conversely, decreasing teeth in the back or increasing teeth in the front, increases top speed potential, but reduces acceleration.

I think droping 1 tooth up front has a little more impact than adding 2 in the rear. I forget the exact numbers, somone correct me if Im wrong.

I prefer adding teeth to the rear for chain longevity issues. Less stress on chain with the stock front. My bike has a 43 rear which is totally streetable. My recomendation would be a 42 or 43 rear for best overall performance.
smile_face_r.gif

To further on 06BUSA's explanation, the sprockets determine how fast the bike goes, and how quickly it gets there.

Increasing teeth in the back, or decreasing teeth in the front, makes the bike accelerate quicker, but lowers the top speed.

Conversely, decreasing teeth in the back or increasing teeth in the front, increases top speed potential, but reduces acceleration.
You can also use the gearing change to move around your "buzz points".  If you cruise at a speed that matches an rpm that has a little too much buzz, you can alter the gearing to move that buzz point to a slightly different speed.  Sometimes, it's enough to make your cruise speed more enjoyable.

it depends on your sole purpose,race or ride. it's all fun ,but i usually run 16/45 on the street and strip also depends on your weight and needs.im not light weight,i just prefer that kick in the butt to get me going .but ever rider on here has their on riding style and gear choice's. just street i would go with the 43t rear stock front. just my opinion.
race.gif

I prefer adding teeth to the rear for chain longevity issues. Less stress on chain with the stock front. My bike has a 43 rear which is totally streetable. My recomendation would be a 42 or 43 rear for best overall performance.
smile_face_r.gif
What do you recommend.  17/42 or 17/43?
Go with 43 in the rear, going down one on the front would be like going up 2.5-3 on the rear. Going up on the rear is better than down on the front.

If you had a 15 front and a 45 rear the ratio would be 3:1....one front tooth equals 3 rear.
If you had 20 front and 40 rear it's 2:1. So it varies on your set up how much a front gear change actually effects your overall gear ratio  
wink.gif

I would leave it alone, cause, if you change the gear ratio, then you need to recalibrate you speed meter its all complicated so, my suggestion is leave em alone, unless youre really into race or something, I rather put more considerations in freeing airflow systems...adding PC and headers etc.
argue.gif

<!--EDIT|ricebuzz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141572303 -->

I would leave it alone, cause, if you change the gear ratio, then you need to recalibrate you speed meter its all complicated so, my suggestion is leave em alone, unless youre really into race or something, I rather put more considerations in freeing airflow systems...adding PC and headers etc.
argue.gif
You can get a rear sprocket for about $60 and a speedohealer
for less than a $100....a gear change can make a bigger difference in acceleration than
a full exhaust system,PC,air box mod,aftermarket air filter....and at a fraction of the cost.

argue.gif
You can get a rear sprocket for about $60 and a speedohealer
for less than a $100....a gear change can make a bigger difference in acceleration than
a full exhaust system,PC,air box mod,aftermarket air filter....and at a fraction of the cost.
+1
i went with a 42 rear, stock front, i like the results so far, i didnt get much of a chance to ride bec of the weather tho.

Back