Question for the short guys.

Pinball

Registered
I went the the cycle show in Indy today and sat on a Busa. I have been trolling the boards for a long time and I am totaly sold on getting one. Just one thing kinda bothered me. IM not the tallest around about 5'7" and just my tip toes touched. The dealer there said that they could lower it down with Dog Bones. I guess my questing is this. Just how for will it have to lower and what will that do for 2 up ridding? If I can get all the answers I need Ill prob go back up there next week and purchase one.  Thanks and any help is welcome :-)

I'm about 5'10" and if I put my legs straight down, I can just about flat-foot my Busa comfortably (stock height). Some lowering links and maybe a Tobin seat would help you out quite a bit. I considered getting the tobin seat just to drop the seat position another 1.5 inches or so...that way comfortably flat-footing the bike at stops wouldn't be a problem at all.
Lowering the front and rear should help you quite a bit, and the seat would finish it off nicely, I'm sure....Good luck.

Welcome to the board and exactly what bdorf94 said. You'll enjoy it when you get it.

Pin Ball,

I am 5'7" and have a 30" inseam and I have no problem with the stock height of the bike. I can't get both feet "flat" on the ground, but I have no problem handling the bike in parking lots or at stops.

Hope that helps

Kent

I'm 5'6", and my pants say I got a 30" inseam as well.

The seat height on the busa is actually the lowest seat height of any sportbike! All other bikes are a little higher for the track, while the busa sits a little lower for straight line speed.

I had a zx-11 and I could only touch the ground with my tip-toes. With the busa I can just get the balls of my feet down. You just have to be focused when stopping and really focused when riding 2-up, cause when the passenger shifts her weight while your stopping and trying to get a foot down....it gets a little nerve racking! But it can be done.

I got a tobin seat this winter, which is said to lower seat height up to 2". I haven't sat on the bike yet, but I'm guessing I should be flat footed now....or almost flat footed. A set of Tobins will run you shy of $300 (or less if you get less options.)

Dog bones will lower the back of the bike 1-3 inches. This will definetely help you and can be had for $1-200. However they will compress your shock and cause premature wear. It is a good idea to have your shock adjusted when the dog bones are put on so they will not endure the stress. Since our shocks are not ride-height adjustable you will have to have it modified and this will cost between $1-300.

The last solution is to get an aftermarket ride-height adjustable shock from Ohlins for about $900.

Also, you can just shave some seat foam. No need to Fuxor the handling of the Busa with lowering links, just shave some foam.
smile.gif

A Tobin seat might be a good choice.

Well I Have a friend who has a Busa... around 5'7, and pretty lean built! He is doing a pretty good job of riding the bike! You might consider Tobin seats rather than changing the height of the bike... Should solve your problem. Just my opinion.
smile.gif

Welcome to the Board
biggrin.gif
... Stick on this board for a couple of days, and people here will convince you to go for the Busa even if your feet dont touch the ground sitting one one
tounge.gif

Pinball, welcome! I am 5'8" with a 29/30 inseam and I used to have to toe it when stopped. I put a Tobin seat on and have no problem setting flat footed when stopped. Tobin's seat not only lowers the seat height because of the shaving he does, but it is not as wide so your legs aren't spread as far.....more comfortable than stock and a better fit for me. I don't want to lower the bike, so I found this a better option......just my .02

pinball,I must be the shortest guy here. I'm 5'4". I have to tip-toe at a stop but I've had no problem handling the bike.
smile.gif

I just came to check out the post...Either lower it or combine the lowering with a Tobin seat...Or what Revlis said...
evil.gif

I am 5'8" and can sit on '03 Busa flat footed with no problem. My other bile is a 96 CBR 900RR and it is much higher than the Busa (and not much lighter). You should have no problem with it.

I just bought mine yesterday, and can't see myself ever wanting another bike. You will love it.

Pinball, I'm 5'9", I had to lower mine a bit,I did it with the rear shock spring, I just adjusted it till it felt comfortable, as it is, the suspension feels better now anyway as it was quite stiff from the factory. NJ.

I went the the cycle show in Indy today and sat on a Busa. I have been trolling the boards for a long time and I am totaly sold on getting one. Just one thing kinda bothered me. IM not the tallest around about 5'7" and just my tip toes touched. The dealer there said that they could lower it down with Dog Bones. I guess my questing is this. Just how for will it have to lower and what will that do for 2 up ridding? If I can get all the answers I need Ill prob go back up there next week and purchase one.  Thanks and any help is welcome :-)
im 5'4..and ride a busa..go figure...just get it already..

heres a pic of my tobins !
biggrin.gif
definatly made the seating position lower and way more comfortable! tobins would be a better choice than lowering especialy if you are gonna two up

P1010006.JPG

Back