question for all current or past law enforcement.

TonyMastodon

Big Blue Burrito!
Registered
Do you or did you love what you did for a living? And if you could, would you do it all over again?? So what kind of pros and cons are their with the job (no thats not a pun...get it...cons... :p)

Reason I'm asking, Ive always wanted to be a cop in Seattle (downtown) and I'm starting to look into the process and get the ball rolling, but I'm 26 and feel if i go with this, i cant turn back and have to commit till retirement.

I wanna make sure I make the right choice. I'm looking to make a career change from what I do now and need to figure this out.

Also, ultimately my goal would be to work in drug enforcement and not just be a patrol man. Any one have any advice in the way I should go? (with schooling or anything).. I have heard I would need to put 4 years into patrol work before any kind of transfer is available.

Help me out.

Tony

Last edited:
I'm not LEO but I did check into becoming one once. Did you check Seattle's requirements? In Florida where I checked you needed either a 4 year degree in some type of similar field or military experience that would relate to LEO. So if you don't have any of that you may want to start there.

Good luck in your search and possible career change.

I went out for the dept and was accepted by the city but did not get on with the county. My buddy applied at the same time and went with the city. He seems to like it pretty well. I think it takes a certain type of person. It helps with him since he's single and the city uses rotating day night and weekend shifts.

Quite a few people that are around me are in law inforcement. I can say one thing I have learned about undercover work. It takes a toll. You have to worry about shifting your balance with your home life more towards your work life and once you're in, be ready for whatever comes your way. Sometimes, you can't get out when you feel you really need to spend more time with your family.

SPD doesnt offer a college degree, just highschool. But im thinking of getting an AA in criminal justice (figure it wouldnt hurt)..

As for the taking the toll on you. I heard the same thing, but Im sure im the kind of person that can separate work from my personal life. But it just sucks cause I have never talked to anyone who is SPD.
But I just found out by the lawyer chick im seeing that her friend is SPD and hes gonna take me on a ride along and let me pick up brain!!

Id still love some input from the forums members.

It's a calling and a sickness. Once you get in you don't want to quit. Don't do it for the money or compliments :laugh:

Quit the PD as soon as I made the Firefighter list. 6 crappy months as a cop 28 great years as a F/F. What do you call a smart cop? firefighter. Lots of friends are cops most don't like their job 6 yrs in. Mostly the bosses on their job forget where they came from and will throw another PO under the bus to save themself.

Quit the PD as soon as I made the Firefighter list. 6 crappy months as a cop 28 great years as a F/F. What do you call a smart cop? firefighter. Lots of friends are cops most don't like their job 6 yrs in. Mostly the bosses on their job forget where they came from and will throw another PO under the bus to save themself.

In SC 50% of the graduates quit in the first 5 years. It's not exactly what you think it is.

I did a career as an LEO in Los Angeles....I wouldn't trade one minute of it. I saw things, did things, had relationships not found in most careers. I must say, some didn't make it and some didn't like it.....that doesn't define what YOUR experience would be...like actual military combat...you have to do it to know if you are hardwired for it. It all can't be explained in a strand like this BUT don't let ANYBODY talk you out of it if you think you have a passion for it.
One more thing, the bigger the Department, usually the more speciality positions, duty choices, higher salary, potential combat situations, etc. (I know, I know, a lone Deputy in Podunk, Egypt can also get into a dangereous situation as well, BUT, the fact is, the more population density, the more crime. I wore out a holster in one year in Watts).
Good luck in whatever you do. Raydog

Sir, you really have to feel this profession!!! Yes there will be some long hours, but what's rewarding depends on what motivates YOU! Is really hard to explain, but most people hate you when you stop them citating them for a violation. And everyone loves you when you catch the person breaking into their house.

The only problem I have is I have to always watch where I go..offduty! Especially when I'm with my family. Because I always see someone I've stoped, arrested or served some type of warrant! I hope this helps a lil!!! Great job if you want to give back to your community.

You had really better think about this. Ive been in the doing this for nearly 20 years now. There are pros and cons as with any job. its a tuff call. here are just a few and i do mean just a few pros and cons.
PROS:
1. pay is good in most larger cities. specially the north east.
2. good retirement packages usually.
3. overall it is a job were its unlikely you won't get layed off.

CONS:
1. you will attend the funerals of your friends and fellow officers that have been murdered at work. you will never forget it either.
2. the above will happen more than once.
3. if you are white, you will be called a racist and if your black you will be called an uncle tom. sorry but its true.
4. this job has one of the highest rates of suicide and divorce....something to think about
5. you will see death come to so many people in so many ways. more than anyone should have to but you have no choice. and dont think that it wont affect you.IT WILL!
6. stress can creep up on you. destroy you life and your family if you dont pay attention to it and do something to reduce it.
7. the average life expectancy of a police officer after full 25yr retirement is just 5 years

I have known countless officers over the years that have retired and died only a few years later from cancer, heart attacks etc. Many have had cancer.
Im not gonna worry about the thankless job aspect. I dont care about that. I do what I do cause its just how i am wired. its all i have ever known since i was 18 and joined the Marine Corps to be an M.P. The satisfaction is your own. By doing whats nobel and right.
It sounds like im putting the profession down I know but Im not. What I listed is the bitter truth about what can happen and so often does. One needs all the aspects both good and bad to make a good decision about it. It is also what you make of it. You cant get mad about everything that doesnt go the way you want it to or the suspect doesnt get charged or whatever.

The only problem I have is I have to always watch where I go..offduty! Especially when I'm with my family. Because I always see someone I've stoped, arrested or served some type of warrant!

this is absolutely true. :rulez:

Tony,

I'm just getting into the whole process myself. I just heard that Chicago PD just got money to hire 400 new officers by the end of the year so I'm hoping to get in there hopefully. Good luck to you brother. :beerchug:

16 years they flew by fast......I would do it all again, with less time chasing medals more time taking promotional exams.. it should be a calling.. not a job.

Its a great job! As many said, its more of a calling than a job. I never hate getting up to go to work, and thats worth more than any amount of money. There are downsides as mentioned above, and they are all very real. Needless to say, its a great career and i couldnt imagine doing anything else.

I wanna thank everyone for their input.
I'm going on with a ride a long next week with a member of the spd DUI unit.

This is something I've always wanted to do. And when I ask myself "is there anything else I would love to do" I can't think of anything and always resort to being an officer.

Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

16 years. It's not what it used to be. It should be a profession, not a job. Mine has been reduced to the later by an idiotic admin. and the attitude has unfortunately filtered it's way down to the street.
I have been #1 on the promotional list for 3.5 years now and hopefully will remain there for another test(took in June). There is no movement.
What I have found in 16 years of LE (in my dept)
-An increasing amount of people have taken the job for the retirement and civil service security rather than the job. The decline in professionalism begins.
-The "blue brotherhood" is eroding away as people are more interested in only themselves.
-One idiot in a uniform can make your day more difficult tahn a perp.
-Society is really quite messed up.
-Don't take it personally, you're not going to change the world.
-Your family life will suffer some until you learn how to leave work at work, and home at home. There is no gray area.
But as a former well respected Chief said
"It's a front row seat to the greatest show on Earth".
Good luck.

:whistle:

Badge.jpg

Back