got my first taste of what law enforcement is like

luvmybusa

Donating Member
Registered
Well, my internet has been down since thursday and the internet company just left so I wanted to get on here and share my experience.

Well, I started an internship with a local police dept and friday night was my first night. I did 4 hours with a 2nd shift guy from 6pm-10pm then I did 5 hours with a 3rd shift guy from 10pm-3am. I was stuck with an older guy for the first half who was more worried about the paper I have to write than actually getting out there and getting some experience. The 3rd shift guy was 24 yrs old, and wanted to get out there and bust some criminals:thumbsup:

It started off pretty slow with basically just pulling over people for no front head light or whatever to see if we could get a drunk driver. No luck. Well, we ended up getting a call about an infant who had stopped breathing...my heart started pumpin. We were first on scene and the child had began breathing again. EMS showed up and took over and we hit the streets again.

We ended up pulling over a friend of mine from school who was driving on suspended plates and a suspended license, so he got 2 citations. Haven't seen him since, so we'll see how that goes when it happens.

I was supposed to end at 2am but at roughly 12:45, we ended up pulling a guy over who had two license plates displayed on his truck. After talking with him, it was apparent that he was pretty smashed. He failed the field sobriety test pretty bad so we took him in for processing. I felt bad for the guy because he seemed like a decent, hard working man...but the truth is, he could have killed someone on his way home.

All in all, it was a great experience. I'm looking forward to getting some more hours under my belt and learning more and more. For you LEO's, thank you for going through what you do in order to keep our streets safe! :bowdown:

It looks different from the other side of the windshield...:shocked:

you need to experience a few pursuits... and report back.

:thumbsup:

I have to commend these guys for what they go through, My brother is an LEO and he tells me some of the things he goes through on a daily basis. He is called names, assaulted, and falsly accused of being violent all the time. My hats off to all you guys out there who protect and serve.

:beerchug: I have spent many hours doing ride alongs with my cop friends...also installing video camera's and the like in cars and interview rooms etc...funny thing is I still drive way over the speed limit...
:whistle:
but on a good note I have been a dj for 8 hours a night 3 nights a week for 17 years and never ever had a drink in a bar, other then pepsi, and a new years toast of champain

Last edited:
Hey, Mikey! You're actually doin' it!

Congrats, youngsta!

Be careful out there, will ya?

My best wishes going forward... :beerchug:

Fun aren't they! My 1st ride along was with my step dad, he was a Detective in homicide at the time and we were in an unmarked car, one hour into the shift before anything happens some nut comes barreling down a 1 way street right at us, my dad turned on the cherries but he still came at us... Bammm, hit us head on, then tried to drive off plowing our car in the process, dad had his gun drawn ready to pop this guy but he separated and sped off. We started to give chase but our car was disabled (Dang the bad luck, could have been in a car chase!). There must of been 50 officers on scene with in minutes. PD don't mess when another cop is in danger. That was it, mom wouldn't let me go on another one..I was bummed. I did go on a few more a couple years ago when I was applyng to the PD..Good times.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a pretty good dose of it, glad you are enjoying it.

I worked patrol overtime last night and experienced the other side of the job. Got a call around 3:30 this morning from a lady whose dog had gotten its foot caught in the leg of a wrought iron bench. My dept's policy is that we pass them off to animal control. Problem with that is animal control isn't going to do anything especially at that hour of the morning. So I went home got some tools and went and cut the dog free. Luckily we didn't have any other calls during that period so I was able to spend the time to do it.

As I tell the younger guys coming in, it may not be important to you but people get very attached to pets and it's important to them. With the attitude towards police these days we need to go above and beyond when we are able to as it lets people know law enforcement is about helping people not just writing tickets and locking people up.

Back