Question about tuning when replacing gutted cans with slip ons

pharmer81

Registered
I bought my 05 Busa about two years ago. The previous owner had completely gutted the stock cans (as in hollow; nothing in them) and states he had it dyno tuned via a PCIII. The bikes sounds evil and awesome, but I dislike the look of the stock cans and I'm well aware that I'm probably losing bottom end with the gutted cans. I'm considering getting some Two Brothers flange on cans. If I do this, and the previous owner actually had it tuned with the gutted cans, will I need to remap my PCIII, or should I be good to go? The bike currently runs smooth and pulls hard. It is the only Busa I've ever ridden, so I don't know whether or not I'm actually missing out on power.

Probably won't make a difference if you are running the stock header with catalyst. Most cans do not create a lot of restriction, it's all in the cat and header. Any small change will probably not be noticeable at all.

So I shouldn't worry about replacing my gutted cans only for the sake of gaining some power? I like the look of aftermarket, but I LOVE the way my bike sounds.

Your gutted cans probably flow slightly better than any slip on. The diff will be very small. They are probably still heavier than my Yosh r77 carbons and much louder. So aside from the sound, you would have to decide based on looks and weight savings. Personally, the stock cans look horrible compared to many aftermarket slip on..... but not nearly as bad as the cans on the ZX-14.

most cans do not create a lot of restriction, it's all in the cat and header.

true statement :) P.S. Picture shows a GEN II but same difference :whistle:

100_3052.jpg

Changing mufflers is really only going to change the sound, and a/f changes will be slight.
If you want power and sound, get a Brocks Alienhead. Base maps are usually junk, but Brocks base maps are very good. A good dyno tune is always best when possible though.
You will notice a difference from what you have.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to think about it. The bike has more than enough power for me, and I love the way it sounds. I'm just not to fond of the look of the stock cans. My favorite exhaust would be a Brocks Sidewinder, but I run Knight Designs 2" drop pegs because I'm so tall. Judging from pics, it looks like they would interfere with that pipe.

Back