Question About Covering Plates ??

2quik

Donating Member
Registered
Was just curious about why everyone covers there license plates in photo's ...Heck i'm proud of mine, and if its so people don't find out where you live well then I hope you don't ride with any board members they will remeber ....Don't take this as sarcasim i'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind this ..

here's the deal with plates. alot of people don't like to give there names and addersses out. Some have kids etc. It doesn't take much to find out ALOT from a tag number. i have a very good friend in the DMV, i can literally call her and get all the info i could ever want on you from your tag. NOW i don't do this but what i'm trying to say is it's not hard to do. I would love to hook up and ride with some of the Florida people in this board. and yes they would be able to get my plate number. I'm not warried about this, what concerns me, and most i'm guessing is that who thye hell knows what kind of morons read the board. might be someone looking to steal my busa, I'm not going to give them my address, i have kids in my house, i'd hate to have to shoot someone in the face in front of them =)

For all the same reasons you don’t use your real name as your username name.

Internet connection + $10 online = get any information you're looking for about a person who's plate you have.

I had a friend that had the worst road rage a year or two ago. I'm driving along and I get cut off pretty bad. Real bad actually. I give the horn a shot and mouth a few things to the idiot who cut me off as he almost caused a pile up on the freeway. The idiot proceeds to flip me off and mouth a few things out the window of his truck. I let it go with the shake of my head. All the while my friend is working on his laptop and surfing the web (cellular wireless connection). We exit the highway and look up and we're right next to the idiot who cut me off. My friend rolls down his window and asks Steve how his wife Rhonda is doing (don't remember the names but you get the idea). The guys face turns red and he starts scowling after a brief moment of shock. Then my buddy has to push it and tells him we'll be at his place on 1111 Someidiot Ln around 7:00. The guy starts to get out of his truck just as the light changes. I can only assume to ring my friends neck - and in my opinion, rightfully so.

Point is. It's that easy. In under 5 minutes with basically a dial-up connection my buddy had all the goods on him. Needless to say it freaked me out how easy it was and in addition the buddy is not much more than an acquaintance anymore.

So basically, a medium-tech group of theives can just surf boards from the net, snag plates and do look ups while driving to their first hit of the night.

For all the same reasons you don’t use your real name as your username name.
dam !
crazy.gif

I don't think that it matters much either way. Anyone can see your tag while you're riding; could be the same boogeyman that is trolling the board right now. If they use your plate number to case your place and steal your bike, that's what insurance is for. Most thieves are cowards that are looking to get what they want with the least amount of trouble and no human interaction. It's the same reason most residential burglaries happen in the middle of the day when the hardworking homeowner is out earning a living.

However if it will help you sleep better at night, you could get a private mail box at the ups store or similar and have the dmv change your address, so that if someone does try and locate you through the plate number they will then have to stake out the mailbox location in hopes that you check your mail on your bike and then follow you to wherever. So in retrospect, don't check your mail on your bike and you should be ok.
smile.gif

I hear Ya I think i would be more worried of someone following me home and casing the place than tracing my plate i did that already (have plate registered towns away and the bike never goes there ) .....

the plate its in there ! on the left

<!--EDIT|johnstein
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133404684 -->

post_6_30932_Two_Point_ride_003b_1_.jpg

Back