Purchase dilema

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Everyone, let me start off by stating how much I admire the Busa. I have been eying the Busa for a couple of years now and have the cash saved up to buy one. I like the fact that the engine is a reliable beast (torque) even at low-mid range, comfortable enough for longer rides, the rare two-up riding capability and not to mention the unique look(s) it has and receives.

My concern is that I would like to eventually get to the track on a somewhat regular basis and believe a litre bike (GSXR-1000), which I believe most would agree, is more suitable for track days. I understand that being almost 6'3" and 220 lbs. it has a short wheelbase and cramped sitting position for me. Not pleasant for weekend riding.

Can you still have enjoyable track days at the track on a Busa or should I plan on laying it down (or worse, high side) if I take it to the track?

I'm leaning towards getting the Busa and saving up for an inexpensive, used, track only (600cc?) bike and not worry about scratched fairings, nicks, etc.?

I'm leaning towards getting the Busa and saving up for an inexpensive, used, track only (600cc?) bike and not worry about scratched fairings, nicks, etc.

Sounds like a good plan.

A lot of us goto trackdays on our Busas.

If you are looking to have fun at the track, the Busa is great.

If you looking to be the fastest guy there or have plans to go into racing, then something else would be better.

Of course both would be great. If you can afford 2 bikes
biggrin.gif

Go with the last statement. Im sure you can set the busa up to be a fun track bike, but in reality, you will probably be faster on a 600. Plus, if your like me, I would not use the busas full potential due to fear of damage. Buy a sorted 600 and wring its neck.

I don't know your riding experience, but if you are just learning how to ride or how to ride aggressively in the corners a cheap bike might be better until you are confident in your skills. Just depends on your riding experience.

I don't know your riding experience, but if you are just learning how to ride or how to ride aggressively in the corners a cheap bike might be better until you are confident in your skills.  Just depends on your riding experience.
I've had 3 bikes (100 on/off, 250 on/off and 600 street) from age 12 (83') to age 26 (97'). Didn't buy a new bike after a buddy totaled it and jacked his ankle up.

Looking to get back in the saddle and mature/patient enough for the Busa learning curve. Anticipate taking MSC first to get familar and sponsored.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll likely get the Busa and save in the long run for an all-out 600cc to ride to death (the motorcycle's death not mine). I guess I can still take it easy at a track on the Busa w/out getting yelled at. But if so, what parts need to be modded/replaced so there is no scraping in the twisties.

Just setup the suspension for your weight, put on sticky tires, and go easy on the throttle
biggrin.gif

Busa makes a good track bike. I'm doing one this Monday at Willow Springs and in April at Cali Speedway. Makes a good canyon carver too.

Is it the best for track and canyon?

No. There are better bikes suited for that.

Sport touring?

Yes, incredible.

Drag racing?

It's what it's known for!!

Aftermarket/Mods?

Huge and Impressive. I'd say many turbokits, BB, etc were designed with the Busa in mind. Not to mention the cosmetic market too.

You should go with what your heart desires. I have a Busa but I'm itchin for the GixxK6 b/c I plan on getting very serious about track days. But assess yourself and figure what you want "you" and "your bike" to do. Good luck and post dem pics as soon as you get yer new scoot.

That me at the track in my avatar in front of a K5.
More work to get it around, but if you run smooth they can be very track freindly.

Easy-ie , Smees-ie question
umnik.gif
. My Busa is for the Street and touring and my Duc 998 is for the track (Cause it sure ain't a touring bike
laugh.gif
) ! I suggest you get the GSXR 1000 so you can really enjoy both the track  
race.gif
 and a few short trips
ss011.gif

On the track the rider is the most important factor. The Busa is a bike you can ride. You can ride it a short distance or a long distance. The litre bikes how far are you going to drive them. Decide what your looking for and buy it. If you are looking for a bike to be the fastest on the track get a 600. A good rider on a Busa is going to smoke a bad or soso rider on a 600 at the track.

If you are looking for a street bike the Busa is the answer. Day after day I see people on all sorts of bikes that are uncomfortable on them they look like ther're in agony after 30 minutes on it.

If your looking for a track bike only buy that.:D

Back