proper install of rear sprocket

txbikerdude

Donating Member
Registered
hey all., just got my vortex sprocket. I assume it mounts with the vortex words on the outside but the teeth look backward.... does it mount like this:

HPIM2066.jpg

Alright, have the wife read you the installation instructions :laugh: Nice sprocket dude. Good luck on the install. :thumbsup:

pretty but too fragile for me... you gotta replace those things way too often for my blood... the extra teeth ought to be fun :)

At 7,000 miles my Vortex looked like a steel sprocket at 30,000. Keep an eye on the chain spacing. As your chain stretches it will wear out the teeth very quickly.

I helped Rubber2burn change my Wife's sprockets & chain today on her 600RR. She had an aluminum Renthal w/ 4 teeth left out of 43 :whistle:

We went back w/ a steel rear sprocket.

At 7,000 miles my Vortex looked like a steel sprocket at 30,000. Keep an eye on the chain spacing. As your chain stretches it will wear out the teeth very quickly.
you can call vortex and they will tell you right up front their sprocket will be toast at 5-8K if you run the EK chains (especially the ZZZ) it is the opposite issue of a worn chain, the EK chains do not stretch and the vortex is designed for some chain stretch (.002 per link as per Vortex) the lack of this stretch eats the sprocket..

If you are going to run an EK chain, stick with the "stealth" sprocket or similar steel unit..

They also told me if you run the DID chains, the sprocket should last as long as the chain.. (should)

Back