Proper break-in question

OB_Sarge

Registered
This one for any mechanic or engineer-type: It makes sense to me to keep a new bike under 4000 RPMs the first 500 miles, but what is the rationale behind varying engine speeds during break-in? My dealer told me to vary my speeds during break-in, and not hold it at one steady speed. Problem is, I'm having a late Christmas get-together with family two hours up the interstate, and would like to ride up, but varying interstate speeds isn't practical. Thought the cool weather might also be good for it, too. (Hope this ain't too dumb a ?). I'm one of those looking for long-term engine durability since I keep all my bikes a long time.

Sarge a cruise on the highway need not be a droning one set rpm event, you will be very suprised that you can zip up and down the tach needle without any traffic delays :)

You are going to be amazed at the power/torque of you new borne Busa. Some things do get better with age and the Busa is one of them. Stick with synthetic oil and adjust the shift lever.

Just stay away from broke in 99's or you will never do it "right", they will suck you right into all kinds of foolishness!

You can vary the engine speed on the interstate by jumping between gears and keeping the same mph.

broke mine in under 5000 rpm for first 500 miles this is easy to do because in sixth gear at 5k you are doing about 105 mph very the rpms. and you will do fine

My understanding of break in, is that you want to "Load" and "Unload" the engine parts, basically the same as changing the engine speed. I think I heard somewhere that the intent is to make the engine parts hot and then cool down again. That's about all I know, I guess this heating and cooling / loading and unloading of the parts, matches and seats them together for a longer engine life / more power. If you are planning a long trip, ride like ma, letting people pass you and then pass them back, also take many rest stops so you can run through the gears and get back to speed again. Maybe if you can find a twistier route, you could have some corners to work with, although tuff to find this time of the year.
My 2c anyways.
Martin

KawAbuser,

Is it wise to use synthetic oil in a new bike? I was always told to break in a motor with conventional oil and then go to synthetic. ?????????????????????????

Break in at dragstrip cheaper, and more entertaining than dyno. I put 500 miles of variable rpm / load riding on freeway, and around town. At 500+ miles, took it to strip, and made half a dozen passes, shifting at only 8000 rpm. Still ran 10.40's. At 1000 miles, ran up to 10,000 rpm, at strip. Ran 10.20's. Drag strip allows brief high load on rings, without too much heat. Certainly less heat than dyno. Changed to synthetic oil at 2000 miles.

Martin, you are right. I should have read the owner's manual before getting ahead of myself. The manual actually mentioned what you said in the 'break-in recommendations'. I had heard mechanics give this advice before, but didn't expect it to be addressed that specifically in the manual. I couldn't wait to get out of the shop to ride, so I didn't ask too-too many questions; I need to slow down. Thanks to all who replied.

I've always been alittle easier on break-in, but when the urge hits, I let it rip. The tolerances on todays motors are so much better that break-in is usually an old school item. If the motors not right, best to find-out while it's under warranty.

Back