Problems with performance, thoughts anyone?

Here's an update.

First off I want to thank Greg for offering up the map, I took him up on the offer and when I got home from work this evening I remapped my PCIII. I then went out for a trial run, turned into a 70 mile trial at that. Did some in town riding, then hit the interstate and did some interstate riding, then found some nice quiet roads to turn her loose a bit then ended up doing some more in town riding.

The map made a HUGE difference in smoothing things out. No longer bucking or feeling like it's loading up at that constant 4k rpm cruise. It also brought my fuel mileage back up, ended up with an average of 30.0 mpg according to the odometer. I put on more miles than I did yesterday and the fuel gauge is just barely under 3/4 as opposed to being at 1/2 with less miles yesterday. Power is also good on it, nice and strong.

While I know it's still not as good as I would get from a good dyno tune, it's acceptable enough to get me by until I can get it tuned and get a custom map for my set up.

Thanks again Greg, You've definitely earned my future business!

Thank you for the kudos and it was a pleasure, you just re-affirm we are on the right road to success. Thanks again,

Greg Williams

Way to go Greg,

Boy this thread turned into a dreaded "octanre" threadjack....

If, after mapping, you still have similar issues if even lessened I would have your injectors cleaned by a reputable shop. I just had mine done, and come to find, that stock injectors don't always come matched from the factory. Also, a couple years or a bad batch of dirty fuel can start the buildup. I reinstalled my freshly flow-matched injectors, and tuning was a snap. This machine runs better than new....best money spent in a while..... Good Luck !!! :super: Also have your throttles checked / synch'd before you pull injectors for cleaning.....

I ran into mapping issues with my Brock Hindle supplied map. The map was basically a "drag Race map". and not good for all around riding. Steve Smithers dyno tuned my bike last year, and the results were well worth the money. You cant beat good tune. We also synched the throttle bodies and zeroed the TPS at same time. Bike runs better than new.

I only run shell or amoco 93 in my vehicles as well. My wife's car requires premium due to super charger, my truck actually gets better MPG with it vs 87 and when I figure cost per mile it is cheaper per mile than running 87. On top of that I have never had any problems with fuel system in any of my vehicles running premium fuels including fuel filters. They also get better performance and do not knock or ping.

My squad car on the other hand gets 87 octane as that is what the county allows. It is bad about knocks and pings due to the fuel and it's extremely common for one of the cars in the fleet to have to go in because an injector is clogged or the fuel filter is clogged. The times I have been able to run higher octane fuel in the car, it runs like a champ.

I run the same in the bike due to having zero problems with my vehicles over the years and the fact of the problems I have with the one vehicle in the drive that runs 87. The manual says 87 or higher and doesn't say anything about not running a higher rated fuel. Also with the busa being fuel injected, I'm a firm believer that the higher rated fuel will keep the injectors cleaner. If there is a reason I shouldn't run 93 other than cost I'm willing to listen but if it all comes down 87 is cheaper and the manual says you can run it I would rather spend the extra 60 to 80 cents a tank and have piece of mind that the chances of having to pull the injectors is at a minimum.

Not a guru but the gurus say it's a waste of money and that the bike will get poorer mileage and run hotter on the higher octane fuels. As far as your work car, maybe it needs some maintenance or requires a higher octane fuel. My Crown Vic runs fine on the 87.

Run 2 tanks of 87 thru your bike and then run 2 tanks of 93...keep track of the performance of the bike and the MPG. Post up the results :whistle:

Back