problems starting after it gets hot

bbac504

Registered
hey i have a 2001 hayabusa and after i ride it for a while and the engine gets warm ( in the middle of the temp cauge) and i make a stop if i wait about 30 minutes i wont start but it will start if i wait another 30 minutes after that any help

could be a weak fuel pump or a leaky injector.. a leaky injector might show up as a "black" smoke when you get the bike to fire a half hour later.. (you would also be able to see fuel or a drip down the throttle bores with the engine off/ key on)

vapor lock on a FI motor is pretty hard to do as the pressures are too high (

Technically vapor lock is fuel boiling in the fuel line, new fuel simply flashes to vapor and creates more pressure than the pump can overcome, this is easy at 6 lbs of pressure but at 100? not really

Heat soaked "no starts" can be a BIG variety of things..

when it restarts does it come right to life? is there any smoke? does is sputter? has it ever just shut off?

Does the bike crank but not fire, or does it turn over slowly?

it spins fast like it should and when i finally get it to start it runs normal no smoke no sputting nothing unnormal

tb's = throttle bodies, I guess I was off the mark on the vapor lock comment, that's why I always ask the local gurus about my problems. Anyway if you do a search for throttle boddie sync it should pull up for you, or someone will jump in with the link.

I dont know guys. Doyle's bike did this and it was vapor lock. Try this, when it does it, tilt the tank up so it forces fuel into the fuel pump. The bike will start. This is why they put the pump in the tank on later models.

when you turn on the key, you should be able to hear the pump cycle.. if it is running dry it will never "pull down".. Try cycling the key 2 or 3 times and see if the sound of the pump is different.. (try to start up)

if no go: Then try the "lifting the tank" as suggested... see if the pump sounds like it hits a load.. you should be able to hear the pump load up (slow down or the speed change)

GSXTacy is correct, that could be a source of a "vapor" lock of sorts... not sure of Zuk's reason for moving the pump (auto manufactures did it for pump cooling and longevity) If the pump is running "hot" it could induce this lock.. (my bad, I do not work on "dry" pumps other than in racing apps)

I think the fuel boils in the pump because it is so close to the case with almost no insulation. Thats why it takes about 1/2 an hour to happen. Then the system cools down and all is good to go. Your best best is to get some quick release tank pins so you can just lift it up.

if that is his prob. what does he do to fix it so it doesnt keep doing it? i have an external pump and that has never happened to me. knock on wood. ive heard of it happening though.

Please do a search on this subject! You may need another fan mod or it may be another problem all together...my 2 cents!

yea just gettin differnt ideas cuz when i bring it to the shops they cant figure nothin out, y i dont no, i guess i dream about it not starting lol!!!

if that is his prob. what does he do to fix it so it doesnt keep doing it? i have an external pump and that has never happened to me. knock on wood. ive heard of it happening though.
if it was something like this, I would expect that the age of the pump would have some bearing on the issue... weak pump etc..

cycling the ignition key off/on a number of times might just provide a short term cure.

I would not change any parts until you can sort of chase down the issue a bit better.. I fought with my techs all the time over just swapping parts until some basics had been covered.. spark/fuel/compression

Lifting the tank sounds like a bandaid fix to a weak pump (well weak for the application) but at least would narrow the problem down to the pump..

If it is a fuel pump heat issue, maybe try to wrap the pump with heat insulation that they use on other parts of the bike to keep unwanted heat away from the pump..

If it is a fuel pump heat issue, maybe try to wrap the pump with heat insulation that they use on other parts of the bike to keep unwanted heat away from the pump..
unless he is over heating, it shouldnt effect the pump. unless like Mr. Bogus said and it's getting weak which might make it more suseptable to heat sensitivity.

A long shot but maybe the pump needs cleaned. If it's gunked up it might have to work harder to pump and over heats.

Back