problem installing new SS lines

AZIROC

Registered
so i took the stock lines off.. put the new ss lines on. When i go and pull the brake lever to get some of the brake fluid in there.. i will just keep pulling/releasing and it never gets any "tougher". i checked to make sure fluid is in the lines by loosening the bleeders and when i pull the leer, fluid comes out.. and when i loosed the bolts that hold the banjos in.. fluid comes out. so its telling me SO fluid is making it in. but i filled the resuvor up, and still keep pulling the leer and it doesnt look like its going down any and th lever pull is still loose (like there is no fluid in it). any ideas?

Bleed, bleed, bleed, bleed, and bleed some more.

Then zip-tie the brake lever to the handgrip overnight with a firm pull to squeeze any bubbles up into the reservoir.
smile.gif

(Shibumi @ Jul. 14 2007,17:51) Bleed, bleed, bleed, bleed, and bleed some more.

Then zip-tie the brake lever to the handgrip overnight with a firm pull to squeeze any bubbles up into the reservoir.
smile.gif
That's 100 % correct.

The path of the lines seems to create little places for air bubbles to hide, and it takes a LOT to work them all out.

You'll have a nice brake feel when it's done right though
biggrin.gif

Bleed 'em baby. And make sure you don't let brake fluid get on anything but the rags
SHOCKED.gif

I made a catch bottle out of a plastic soda bottle and some clear tubing I had laying around. Start with the clutch side front caliper.

(dadofthree @ Jul. 14 2007,16:41) I made a catch bottle out of a plastic soda bottle and some clear tubing I had laying around. Start with the clutch side front caliper.
Yeper,,,thats the ticket...
smile.gif

(Shibumi @ Jul. 14 2007,14:51) Bleed, bleed, bleed, bleed, and bleed some more.

smile.gif
+2!!! And cover up everything! I used foil!

Everyone has it rite, I cover everything, and I zip tie a hose and box wrench to each bleeder, fill the resevior and bleed them each once and leave the lever pulled with res full for a little while, come back and bleed them until I have a good feel...
A few thins make it easier, like having the hoses and wrenches zip tied on with the hoses in a sealed bottle and your new brake fluid in a hand pump oil can {way better than pouring it in}...
Good luck and take your time, I used to use the vaccum but its just as much of a painin the ass...

Whats been said so far is right on the money... I too bought a bleeder bottle from "Autozone" less than $2's. One thing I might add and was mentioned above, tiny bubbles get in the fluid sometimes and can add hours to your frustration.. Let it set for a couple of hours or even over night. When you get back to it things should go better.........

Let it sit for a while. Probably no more than a couple hours. Enough time to wash and wax it.

Save a lot of frustration and brake fluid. Also, make sure you bleed the left side first.

--Wag--

If you still are having problems try this and see if the master is air locked. Pump the brake handle a few times then hold and loosen the banjo bolt on the master and see if it lets air out. Try this a few times till all air is out and then bleed like normal. I had a friend with this problem, had me stuck for awhile and tried this and it worked in five minutes.

Are you using a mityvac? Doesn't say so in your original post but gravity ain't gonna do it alone... cars have real big diameter tubes and these are super skinny 3mm Teflon inside... need pressure to move the fluid through.

As for a tip: try flicking the brake line with your finger during the bleeding... helps get some of the bubbles that collect inside to come off of the side.

Melissa

Back