Front brake line install problem

georgiabusa_05

Fun Times!
Donating Member
I bought some HEL front brake lines a while back and put them on last night. I had the bike on the stands, I have a Pit Bull front that lifts from the triple tree, and when I went to hook up the right side line, looking at the front of the bike, it was really tight so I had to turn the brake lever/master cylinder down to make it fit. Both lines are the same length. These lines both come from the master cylinder unlike the stock set up. Is this common? The line was fine when it is not on the stand but I found this to be odd. I am also having a problem bleeding the lines. I have a vacume unit but it just pulls the fluid from the other line before it pulls from the master cylinder. So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for info.

Tim
smile.gif

if anyone has this set up and can post pics of how their lines are ran it may help me to see if mine are routed correctly.

thanks.

Do you have risers or heli-bars?

I sold my SS lines because they were not going to be long enough with my 3/4" risers without straightening out, as you are describing.

Mr Bogus had the same issue with his ss lines.

I did the dual line set up on my busa , they were tight also with the suspension extended . I rotated the master to give a bit more slack , wish i had gone +2" afraid to do wheelies for the fear of having no front brakes when i come down and brake fluid all over the back tire if you know what i mean , might be worth an exchange as far as bleeding the lines try gravity bleading to start open both bleeders and pour fluid in the master , then go to the vacuum bleeder or do one line at a time then bolt thenm to the master

This is why I buy my HEL lines directly from Craig in Florida. I have him make them to the exact length I need, and he ships them out same day! But my whole top clamp/ clip on's are not stock either.
beerchug.gif

No riser, stock height. Mine sounds like Johnstein has described. I dont wheelie so I will just be careful when putting it on the stands. To late at this point to exchange, I already have put fluid in them. I think they will be ok, just wish the one line was about 2" longer. I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this problem before.

Thanks for the replys guys.
smile.gif

Tim, does not matter if you wheelie or not.. the forks are going to fully extend under acceleration whether the tire is off the ground or not...

IF the lines are under tension at any time at any fork travel length, you are playing with a time bomb.. not a matter of "if" but "when" (and I might be in front of you)

Get the lines off and replaced with longer ones or lower the front a bit.. going through the gears is not much different on the front lines than carrying the front tire for 5 miles...

I will check to see how much slack there is with the master cylinder turned. I dont think it is that tight, but I will sure check that it is not.

The left looks too tight to me.

You said they are both the same length?...I would think the left would be a little longer since it has further to travel.

looks that way to me too... (left looks tight)

Can you move the line around?

I have went out and readjusted the master cylinder again and thats all I can do with it. I can move the line around some with my hand so the line is not pulling tight, but it is still not loose by any means. I think it will be OK. I have a friend coming over tomorrow to help bleed the lines and I will see what he thinks. I am going to go switch the lines around now, but I am almost sure they were the same length, sure am gonna feel dumb if there not.

If I determine that the one line is to short, can I buy just one line somewhere? If not, I guess I will just put the stock bottom line back on till i can buy another set. What do you think?

Thanks for the replys,

Tim

That's odd.I bought HEL lines from Charles and the left side line was a little longer then the right.Which it should be it has farther distance to travel.

i also have hel lines the left is longer than the right, if your not 100% happy get em changed ,you only get one chance out there. wash them out with warm water and dry them out properly take em back
whistling.gif

OK, I am DUMB.
banghead.gif
 I switched the lines and one was just a bit longer than the other.  
blush.gif
 Thats why I dont really trust myself working on things like that, But now I will know. I could have sworn they were the same length.  O well, all fixed now and the brakes are GREAT!  
thumb_up.gif
 I think Myself and a few friends are going to " THE GAP " TOMORROW.  
ThumbsUp.gif

Thanks for all the replys, I am just glad its finished.  
beerchug.gif

Tim  
smile.gif

Back