Practicing/Progression getting the genII busa down!!!

Hey XR,

Can you give give specific details on the changes you made...and how it's related it to rider size/weight. I'm 6'2" 235lbs.
but first off wow what a difference when i set up my suspension (sag/dampening etc) bike almost feels light due to how tight everything feels to my weight...
Spring rates are pretty much directly related to rider weight.. these bikes are a bit soggy for the 215+ crowd..

for the track your bike needs re-sprung.. I am 240 and I had 1.10 springs up front.. The preloads are "bottomed" out to run the track.. Front dive was awful on hard braking.. Could probably step it up just a bit more if this was only going to be a track bike.. Stock stuff? probably ok while just getting started..
Valve kits are probably a good idea too..

the rear setup on mine is a bit soggy and needs resprung but if I keep my weight forward, it is not too bad.. park your butt on the seat? starts to pogo a bit.

I spent a few $$ at the track and had the suspension guys setup my baseline sag/compression/rebound rates and it made the bike completely different

Like Mr. B and Macon said, knee dragging is about you body postion on the bike. It won't make you faster. It won't remove your chicken strips. But it looks cool in the pics :thumbsup:

Lots of good information in this thread.
I would say it "will" make you faster (assuming guts are there).. getting off the bike lets you keep the bike more "upright" on the road surface and so you get better contact patch.. more patch, more traction, more speed.. Ultimately, you have the bike at full lean, you fully off bike and potentially at the fastest possible speed the bike can take the corner..

on the street? I think if you have run off the chicken strips, you are probably pushing your luck or at the very least pushing the bike a bit too hard.. you need something in reserve and if you are off the edge of the tire, I would think you do not have much there.. Dont worry about the strips so much.. work on position.. speed is the goal not "photogenics" :)

On a long corner, you can learn to get off the bike further and that tightens up the corner a bit requiring more speed to hold your line.. Next time through corner, more speed, same lean, rider further off bike.. (takes some effort)

Last edited:
Hi XIIIR:

Nice pics!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are doing very well getting the bike down on the street. I have been riding 27 years (6 years on the busa) and don't get lower than your pics on the street.

Keep woking on your technique and you should be touching down soon.:beerchug:

Let me know if you happen to be up Muskoka way some time, we can hook up and do some riding.

Safe riding.

Rumble

I spent a few $$ at the track and had the suspension guys setup my baseline sag/compression/rebound rates and it made the bike completely different

I would say it "will" make you faster (assuming guts are there).. getting off the bike lets you keep the bike more "upright" on the road surface and so you get better contact patch.. more patch, more traction, more speed.. Ultimately, you have the bike at full lean, you fully off bike and potentially at the fastest possible speed the bike can take the corner..

Mr. B, I agree getting off the bike will help improve the cornering speed, but you can get off the bike farther without putting the knee down if you wrap around the tank. The knee touching itself isn't what will make the difference in the cornering speed.

Last edited:
Hi XIIIR:

Nice pics!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are doing very well getting the bike down on the street. I have been riding 27 years (6 years on the busa) and don't get lower than your pics on the street.

Keep woking on your technique and you should be touching down soon.:beerchug:

Let me know if you happen to be up Muskoka way some time, we can hook up and do some riding.

Safe riding.

Rumble

THANKS ALOT BUD... its ironic i was actually up there on saturday,.... we were just riding and ended up there on saturday... if i knew we were gonna end up there i would have contacted you....

thanks again for the kind words.

hmmm note to self.... keepy unclesteve away from keyboard when logged on... :rofl:

Back