Practiced Hard Braking on my 08

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
After I put the first 1000 or so miles on my 08, I decided when I drive home from work, I would practice hard stops in front of my house. Hard Stops mostly focusing on what the front brake will do. I thought better to find out now what the bike will do, than learn the hard way in bad situation.

I have been practicing for about a month, and with nicer weather currently in Virginia, I decided to "push it" this weekend. First approach was at about 20mph I braked hard, noticed some front end dive and came to a nice controlled stop, imeediately folowed by a clunk. Then clunk was the rear time coming back into contact with the ground.(My first and maybe last stoppie, guess about 6" off the ground).

My second attempt was 10-15 mph, no stoppie but got a chirp out of the front tire. The chirp was a little concerning(I may have been on the gray edge of control). But again a nice controlled stop. I have no desire to do stoppies, etc. But I was able to learn some things about the bike, all seemed positive from my perspective.

I'm not a brake expert, maybe I would notice even more positives from better brakes, but my faith and knowledge has been increased.

Definitely better to find out the braking limits BEFORE you are in one of those "OH SH..!" moments.
thumb_up.gif

The clunk you heard was the chain slapping the swingarm. Good braking requires practice just like anything else. Just be careful about grabbing a hand full of brake at slow speeds. Your tire will lock up mutch quicker at slow speeds than higher speeds.

I was out doing stoppies a couple weeks back on a chilly day when I locked the front tire at 50 mph and damn near busted my butt. I left a 12 foot darky and saved it only by the skin of my teeth.

When you tire starts crying, it's telling you it's on the verge of locking up. Have fun but be careful.

thumb_up.gif

Keep up the practice! And maybe bump the speed up a little, I know you don't drive around town at 20mph
winkold.gif

Had to make an emergency stop just about an hour ago.
Some fool flying off an exit flew out and into my lane.
He was in such a rush he flew out and crossed two lanes right into me.
Thank god I was alert and was able to jam HARD on the brakes and the horn at the same time. When I came to a stop a fellow next to me in a suv SAID "WOW that guys a jerk"
"Pay him no mind he's friggin crazy" but I couldn't so I followed him to the next light hopeing it was red and it was. I put my bike in front of him side ways, got off it then another guy in a car says " DUDE " he almost killed you" He opened his window and I simply told him to be careful. I have a family I want to get home to and you need to slow down. His reply was. I'm sorry I didn't see you. So my reply was if you turned your head you would have. Man was I pist. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS AND GALS! PLEASE!

The clunk you heard was the chain slapping the swingarm. Good braking requires practice just like anything else. Just be careful about grabbing a hand full of brake at slow speeds. Your tire will lock up mutch quicker at slow speeds than higher speeds.

I was out doing stoppies a couple weeks back on a chilly day when I locked the front tire at 50 mph and damn near busted my butt. I left a 12 foot darky and saved it only by the skin of my teeth.

When you tire starts crying, it's telling you it's on the verge of locking up. Have fun but be careful.
thanks for the good info! i did not know at slower speeds lock up is easier.

Back