Power question from a broke guy

KvHotDog4

Registered
I have a 2007 Hayabusa, its pretty much stock just 4-1 muzzy, power commander, TRE and K&N filter. My question is what would be the best way to get 200 hp to the wheel? I have read on here lots of different ways but its usually way up past $1000 and that kinda steep but I know it would be worth it. Before the exhaust and power commander it dynoed 152hp in 3rd. Also, I have put 40,000 miles on it.

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want 200 to the ground from time to time, maybe a good nitrous system might be in order. If you want that HP all the time, turbo is the way go, but you will need a bigger budget.

wont happen except for one way.... Nitrous...

just not enough funding for anything like a turbo or big bore...

Yeah that the answer I was expecting. How much do the big bore kits usually run? Where is a trusted shop? Another thing I have read somewhere on here a good head job can get you close, is that true?

Not enough power for you huh? What is the purpose of 200 HP? Bragging rights? Racing? Ego? If it's justified then price shuldn't be an option, otherwise, do some trackdays and maybe a race school and learn to use whats already in the bike.

Good luck
Lamb

Not enough power for you huh? What is the purpose of 200 HP? Bragging rights? Racing? Ego? If it's justified then price shuldn't be an option, otherwise, do some trackdays and maybe a race school and learn to use whats already in the bike.

Good luck
Lamb

Well I wish price wasn't an option but I am a tight wad and who knows what the economy is going to do? The purpose of the 200 HP is because I thought it was a reasonable number after hearing and reading about some of the numbers people post up on here. I am really just looking for a quicker feel when I twist the throttle coming out of a curve. I have tried changing the gears I was down 1 up 3 but I switched back when my MPG dropped down to about 28. I probably just need to leave it where its at, but this was just a thought I had and I knew this was the place to get the information.

Well I wish price wasn't an option but I am a tight wad and who knows what the economy is going to do? The purpose of the 200 HP is because I thought it was a reasonable number after hearing and reading about some of the numbers people post up on here. I am really just looking for a quicker feel when I twist the throttle coming out of a curve. I have tried changing the gears I was down 1 up 3 but I switched back when my MPG dropped down to about 28. I probably just need to leave it where its at, but this was just a thought I had and I knew this was the place to get the information.

You might just need to readjust your tune. A good dyno tune can pull some pretty good numbers. I know you quoted the numbers before the pipe and PC, what was it after the mods? And did you have it tuned. Theoretically, you could have reduce your numbers with the mod if you didnt have it tuned. I may be reaching here, and someone correct me if I am wrong. It will be hard to tell "seat of the pants" difference without getting all you can get from your mods. From what you are describing, a good nitrous system with a good tune after the mods you have done should give you a good feel.

Last edited:
hmmm you want performance but without the sacrifice to you mpg. That's a tough one. Sounds like you just need to drop back to the -1 on the front to give it a little more pep and still get some mpg.

What you've been hearing about people being in the 180-190 range is with the Gen2 busa. You've got a steeper hill to climb with the Gen1. To Get 200hp from a Gen1 takes more parts and money than a Gen2.

Good luck
Lamb
no truer words spoken... buy some schooling...

there are a few drag racing schools and even more road racing schools/clinics... First thing you learn? just how much you dont know and just how much more hp you have than you can really use yet... seat time is your friend. :)

have seen a lot of drag racers on bikes with 200+ hp that can not out run a decent rider on a stock bike.. but boy do they go through the lights fast :) running mid 10's at 160mph :laugh:

Put the +3 rear sprocket back on, leave the front stock, see how you like that. It's free(assuming you still have em) it will be noticeably different without the -1 on the front...tends to make the front tire lighter too:laugh:

If you haven't gotten it retuned after adding the power commander and the full exhaust, I would take it to a reputable shop and have them do a custom dyno tune for you. That will give you a baseline and something to start with. Good luck with your search for more power. I made the decision to save the cash up and go for broke with the big daddy turbo set up!!

Gasoline learn to ride

Ahh shell i see now:poke: I don't use shell in my bike anymore thats why I didn't realize lol I thought it was a name of a school or something.

I would like to find a school, I thought I did alright on the drag strip though, it was my first time ever to race from a take off I got a 6.9 in an 1/8 mile. That was all stock. The take off killed me and I was sleeping at the light :sleeping:

Anyone know where a good school would be around Tennessee?

Also, I am saving for a good retune and I think it my need valves adjusted and throttle bodies synced never had either done.

Last edited:
nitrous...which in my opinion sucks cause you don't have it all the time. A good 1397 kit is proven and will get you 200RWHP...its going to cost more than a $1000 but cheaper than a turbo.

nitrous...which in my opinion sucks cause you don't have it all the time. A good 1397 kit is proven and will get you 200RWHP...its going to cost more than a $1000 but cheaper than a turbo.

Thats what I was leaning toward. I am mechanically inclind but I would need a kit that has everything I would need. Is it sold as a complete kit or do you have to buy it piece by piece? If so what are the pieces?

Back