Power Commander III EX vs PC III or PCV for 09 Busa

Koster88

Registered
I bought a 2009 Busa about 3 weeks ago. When I bought it I had them order a power commander. At the time when I ordered it I just assumed they would order a PCV because I had looked on PC's Website, and that was the only recommendation. When I went to Pick it up, They had a PC III EX, and its for the B-King. They tell me the B-King PC, and the Busa PC are Exactly the same (however, I see there is a different part number...makes me nervous). Also... This EX thing. I think that’s for Emissions in CA???? I am in Texas, and don’t have to worry about emissions. Will the affect the HP? Is there a big advange of the PCV vs. PCIII? I feel like installing it today (its a nice day), but if I am going to regret this thing, I'll take it back and make them order the correct one.

Thanks for Any help!

Take it back and have them order the PCV. I beleive you are correct about the EX being something for emissions. Get the right part number for your application and don't let them tell you any different.

Does PC V work on an 08 Busa? Why does PC not advertise it for 08?

The PCIIIUSB (part #339-411) is the correct powercommander for your bike, although the PCV for an '09 will retrofit, has more built-in features and more range than the USB version. The EX - regardless of model, should not be used. Keep in mind that Dynojet will not support a PCV installed on an earlier model, even though it plugs right in and works fine. I would not install a PC from a B-King onto a Busa. I am not sure of the differences, but again, if you have a problem with the box for any reason, they will not warranty it because it was installed on the wrong model. Bring the one you have back and get the right one. If you have any tech questions in regard to using the one you have on your bike, call Dynojet's 800 number directly. They will be happy to answer any questions you have . . .:beerchug:

The PCIIIUSB (part #339-411) is the correct powercommander for your bike, although the PCV for an '09 will retrofit, has more built-in features and more range than the USB version. The EX - regardless of model, should not be used. Keep in mind that Dynojet will not support a PCV installed on an earlier model, even though it plugs right in and works fine. I would not install a PC from a B-King onto a Busa. I am not sure of the differences, but again, if you have a problem with the box for any reason, they will not warranty it because it was installed on the wrong model. Bring the one you have back and get the right one. If you have any tech questions in regard to using the one you have on your bike, call Dynojet's 800 number directly. They will be happy to answer any questions you have . . .:beerchug:

What he said...:beerchug:

so why not the 08 if it's the exact same? Anyone know the real reason they will not support? I like the auto tune feature.

Take it back. I think they screwed up and are trying to pass some bs off on you. I am sure you could find whichever you decide to go with much cheaper than stealership and from a straight shooter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Go with the PC V model and make sure it is specific for your bike. It is too easy to find exactly what you want from someone who cares, the opposite is also true. Forget about Dynojet can you imagine what the dealer may say if you had to make a warranty claim and they saw you had wrong model PC on it ? Also the size diff is significant. PC V model slips right in there while earlier models are larger in size.
I got PC V for $279 shipped off Ebay from a seller with more than 10,000 A+ sales.

Just my .02.

Go with the PC V model and make sure it is specific for your bike. It is too easy to find exactly what you want from someone who cares, the opposite is also true. Forget about Dynojet can you imagine what the dealer may say if you had to make a warranty claim and they saw you had wrong model PC on it ? Also the size diff is significant. PC V model slips right in there while earlier models are larger in size.
I got PC V for $279 shipped off Ebay from a seller with more than 10,000 A+ sales.

Just my .02.

damn bro...i paid the same for mine off ebay also lol.

The PCIII EX is a street legal version. You know the lean areas on a stock street bike at part throttle low to mid rpm? Well, you can't change the values in those cells with the EX. It's a PCIII with cells bocked out. You can tweak the 60, 80 and 100% throttle. On some bikes you can tweak the very low rpm and very low tps points like 0 and 2% throttle. I have people bring their bikes in all the time telling me that's what their dealer got them. I can tweak for the available areas but the sections that nead it (EPA tested zones) are already lean from the factory and need adjusting the most and dagnabbit, I can't do anything with a an EX.

The PCV works fine on the 08. That's what I have on my 08. They don't want to advertise PCV's for older versions of the same bikes to prevent the retrofit nightmare. Think about it. Everyyahoo out there will put a PCV on a similar bike and when one chuckle head finds the one year and model where a connector has a pin in a different location there will be an internet flame war about Power commander not doing due diligence and testing every PCV on every bike of every year. It's far easier to say - "only supported on 09 and above."

Your dealer dosen't know squat about Power Commanders and should never have sold you that EPA compliant pile of dung. They only made those after the EPA/CARB lawsuit sighting Dynojet for failure to state that the Power Commander alters emmisions and is for RACE USE ONLY. Cost them $1 Million in fines and settlement. Then they released the EX to appease the court.

Use the PCV on your 08. You'll have a 15% throttle column in addition to the 10% and 20% in the PCIII. You'll also have the ability to have a map for each gear if you wire the pulse from the speedo sensor into the speed input of the PCV. You'll also have the ability to have two different sets of maps with a single toggle switch installed on the bike - without having to buy a hub or switch from Dynojet. Lastly you will have the ability to have a shifter kill with tunable kill times with just the addition of a sensor in the shift linkage (again, no hub or add on module).

Last edited:
Pretty sure you will find B-king and Gen II busa same unit just different base map loaded. I have fitted and mapped a Busa commander on a B-King so they do fit :thumbsup:
Just save yourself any confusion .................. REFLASH :cheerleader:

The PCIII EX is a street legal version. You know the lean areas on a stock street bike at part throttle low to mid rpm? Well, you can't change the values in those cells with the EX. It's a PCIII with cells bocked out. You can tweak the 60, 80 and 100% throttle. On some bikes you can tweak the very low rpm and very low tps points like 0 and 2% throttle. I have people bring their bikes in all the time telling me that's what their dealer got them. I can tweak for the available areas but the sections that nead it (EPA tested zones) are already lean from the factory and need adjusting the most and dagnabbit, I can't do anything with a an EX.

The PCV works fine on the 08. That's what I have on my 08. They don't want to advertise PCV's for older versions of the same bikes to prevent the retrofit nightmare. Think about it. Everyyahoo out there will put a PCV on a similar bike and when one chuckle head finds the one year and model where a connector has a pin in a different location there will be an internet flame war about Power commander not doing due diligence and testing every PCV on every bike of every year. It's far easier to say - "only supported on 09 and above."

Your dealer dosen't know squat about Power Commanders and should never have sold you that EPA compliant pile of dung. They only made those after the EPA/CARB lawsuit sighting Dynojet for failure to state that the Power Commander alters emmisions and is for RACE USE ONLY. Cost them $1 Million in fines and settlement. Then they released the EX to appease the court.

Use the PCV on your 08. You'll have a 15% throttle column in addition to the 10% and 20% in the PCIII. You'll also have the ability to have a map for each gear if you wire the pulse from the speedo sensor into the speed input of the PCV. You'll also have the ability to have two different sets of maps with a single toggle switch installed on the bike - without having to buy a hub or switch from Dynojet. Lastly you will have the ability to have a shifter kill with tunable kill times with just the addition of a sensor in the shift linkage (again, no hub or add on module).

Thanks! This is pretty much what I was thinking also. Alot of good info I didn't know about the EX vs Reg PCIII. I have the R77 Exhaust, so I should be able to just DL the correct map, DL the map, and be ready to go huh? I have owned several bikes with PC's, but never installed one myself. They wanted 230 bucks to install it, but dont even dyno tune it. I'm sure all they were going to do was DL the map, and wire it up. I can do that.

Thanks again!

$230 for installation of just the PC?! I need to start my own business LOL. It's easy to install I would say an hour tops!!!

Back