Power Commander 5 Installed But Now Won't Start

TonezEnt

Registered
I hook everything correctly based off the manual that is on Power Commanders site for an 09 Hayabusa. I turn the key with no ignition and the gauges behave normally. I turn on the killswitch and hear the fuel pump work. I also notice the power and status light on the PCV flash. So I'm assuming things are working. I attempt to the start the bike and I get this obnoxiously loud noise from the engine. Sounds like something is grinding. I'm wondering if I may have blown my starter or something. Again I'll post some pic and video but has anyone ever had this problem. I did notice that on revzilla's site that there is a different manual for the bike that now has me thrown for a loop.

I also should mention that I tried this all Friday night. I put everything back the way the bike was before I started. I took the battery out and let it sit overnight on the tender. I'm getting 13v this morning when I tried to do everything again this time removing the PCV completely and I get the same result.

before you started the install of your PCV did you disconnect the battery ? It is not listed on the instructions by them , but is the norm for electrical work .

This link , and color pictures may aid you better than the black , and white paper work with the PCV . Also are you installing a new ( unused ) ?
I have seen new old stock of PCV's needing a update / revision . On my 2009 R6 the PCV would not function the quick shifter . Dave @ Dynojet helped me
to determine it was a version / software issue on the PCV . After a quick upgrade via programming through the net it all worked like it should of .

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/20-008/install/pcv/engI20-008.04.pdf

before you started the install of your PCV did you disconnect the battery ? It is not listed on the instructions by them , but is the norm for electrical work .

This link , and color pictures may aid you better than the black , and white paper work with the PCV . Also are you installing a new ( unused ) ?
I have seen new old stock of PCV's needing a update / revision . On my 2009 R6 the PCV would not function the quick shifter . Dave @ Dynojet helped me
to determine it was a version / software issue on the PCV . After a quick upgrade via programming through the net it all worked like it should of .

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/20-008/install/pcv/engI20-008.04.pdf

I removed the positive terminal from the battery. The manual that you sent in the link is where I actually started. However, the manual from Revzilla's site has different directions which I followed. My model came used with the posi-tap for the TPS. Now the bike wont start even after I put everything back to stock.

Revzilla Manual: Dynojet Power Commander V Suzuki Hayabusa 2008-2016

Ok did you take a look at all of your fuses ? Double/triple check all connections when going back to factory ?

I checked the fuses last night and they all were in good order. I'll double all the connections again when I get home. that are on the fuel injectors. I think where I went wrong is connecting up (what I thought) was the power connections. I cut the line with the red spade thinking it was a positive line to the positive battery terminal and the line with the black electrical tape to the negative terminal and tried to start it and got the same problem. I also noticed that the power commander status and power light didn't come on. I double checked the manual and moved the (the now yellow ring connector) line to the negative battery terminal and let the line with the electrical tape disconnected. The power commander came on. when I hit the ignition. but still the starter wont crank or turn over. Is there a way to check to see if the starter is bad?

20160924_144600.jpg 20160924_144603.jpg 20160924_144633.jpg

OK made some progress. I disconnected all the connections and I took apart from the install and hooked everything back up. Tried to start it once and it gave me the loud whirring sound. I turned off the ignition and tried it again. Now it's actaully cranks, and the headlight dims as it's trying to start up, but still won't turn over. Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

The battery has 13volts. I charged it over night the past 2 nights. But I just got it to start. I noticed a smell of gas coming from the engine while I was cranking it. I notice fuel leaking from the exhaust. Not good. So I took it outside and finally got it to turn on over. I'm letting the gas out by letting it run for a while.

It should be noted that a full cylinder of fuel will not compress . It can bend/break rods . You have washed your cylinders of oil , and have some fuel in your crank case i'm sure . Easy fix change oil , pull plugs and crank engine till no fuel mist is present in the air . a little shoot of oil in each cylinder and turn engine over more with no plugs or starting . Note with fresh oil on crank case . The engine will prime and after 3 to 4 20 second cycles oil will be were its needed . Put plugs back in and call it good .

What I imagine happened you some how got the PCV to flow fuel while engine was not running filling cylinders causing a hydro lock . it took time for the fuel to get past rings enough to be able to turn over again .

It should be noted that a full cylinder of fuel will not compress . It can bend/break rods . You have washed your cylinders of oil , and have some fuel in your crank case i'm sure . Easy fix change oil , pull plugs and crank engine till no fuel mist is present in the air . a little shoot of oil in each cylinder and turn engine over more with no plugs or starting . Note with fresh oil on crank case . The engine will prime and after 3 to 4 20 second cycles oil will be were its needed . Put plugs back in and call it good .

What I imagine happened you some how got the PCV to flow fuel while engine was not running filling cylinders causing a hydro lock . it took time for the fuel to get past rings enough to be able to turn over again .

And I just changed my oil and spark plugs too.... about another $70 down the tube...So just so I'm clear I need to do the following:

Change the oil. "Pull" the spark plugs (I'm assuming you mean change them) and then keep starting and stopping the bike? Just FYI the bike now starts like it used too. Just an FYI when I got the bike to finally start there were small puffs of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I assumed that was fuel/oil burning in the exhaust so I let the bike idle for about 10 minutes unitl I saw that was no white mist/smoke coming from the exhaust. I went and started the bike again and she fired right up like she used to. I can still change the oil again if you feel it's in my best interest. I just want to make sure I understand the procedure before moving on.

It may be best to describe via phone . P.M. a message , and Ill give you my # if you like .

Back