2001 won't start

Doohams

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 that doesn't like to start right now. I turn the key and have power but when I pull the clutch and hit start I'll get a little click and a "pew" sound for lack of a better term. I pulled the starter relay and tested it just like the manual suggests and it tested fine. If I hit the start button over and over and over then maybe it will crank and sometimes it'll start, but for the most part just the click. Anyone ever run into this before. I have checked the interlocks as well and they seem fine. I did recently have a short directly from the positive of the battery to the frame. I can't find any blown fuses though. I'd rather not start changing switches if that's not the problem.:banghead:

Hi Doohams,
I'm having the exact same issues with my 2001! I've changed the relay and the starter motor, and still the same thing - the click and pew sound. I took a look at the starter button, and everything looked ok, the contacts were fine. I'm no good with electrics though - looks like I'll have to put it to a professional! I'd still be interested in any ideas that anyone might have though!

I've checked the battery, it's sitting at 12.75v - I keep it on a Optimate 4, so I think the battery is good.

get the battery LOAD-TESTED to be sure (a good voltage reading alone is not enough)

The click is the selenoid and not sure but the pew(whirl) is the spinning starter gear thats not throwing out(engaging)? Assuming you starter and the battery is good as stated. ARE you sure the battery is ok? Batteries can show sufficient voltage particularly in on a maintainer but do not have the amps CCA. A quick and dirty way to check is to crank or try to crank the motor and check the voltage drop first at the battery and then at the starter - if the voltage drops to below say 9.7 volts or so the battery is probably suspect. Don't be fooled by a newly bought battery while not common they can be bad at purchase. Assuming the battery and starter are are good - Start at the starter motor and measure voltages back to source it's shorting somewhere.

I'll load check the battery. It seems as though the signal isn't getting to the relay. The click and sound are coming from under the seat. It's not the starter. I'm starting to think it's the switch. Like it is barely making contact. I'll put the charger on it for a while and see if it'll start.

Thanks. Any other help would be appreciated.

I'm the same as Doohams, the click and sound are coming from the starter relay under the seat. I honestly don't think it is the battery, I've had it for about a year, so it's neither old nor brand new, and it's holding it's charge - but like you say I should get it load tested to be certain.

Hi Doohams,
I've managed to trace the fault with my bike, and with luck your issue may be the same. The block that plugs into the starting motor has four wires going into it, and one of these wires had been damaged - allowing it to corrode. Changed the plug for some spade connectors, and bike is again running like a dream!

I gotta say it. Sorry...

"Ain't Got No Gas In It..."
original.0.jpg

LOL Steve! Hope you get her fixed!

Hi Doohams,
I've managed to trace the fault with my bike, and with luck your issue may be the same. The block that plugs into the starting motor has four wires going into it, and one of these wires had been damaged - allowing it to corrode. Changed the plug for some spade connectors, and bike is again running like a dream!

I just jumpered from the battery to the starter side of the relay and the bike fired up! I'll check the wires. I'm trying to narrow it down and I figure that the problem is with the push button or wires . I just looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like there is multiple contacts that need to make in order for the bike to fire up. Anyone ever deal with the contacts before? I heard that gixxers have this problem.

My post should have read - the connector block that plugs into the starter relay has four wires. Check those wires first. Good luck.

So it turned out to be a bad connection. Thanks Ledj! The wire loom had been pinched and caused a strain on the connector. The wires were fine, just not completely plugged in. I just got back from a ride and I shut it off and turned it back on 3 times when I got home to make sure.:thumbsup:

I guess when you reroute all the wiring on the bike you should make sure of these things!:whistle:

How do you actually fix this though? i thought mine was the relay so i bought a new one £71 and still the same, everything lights up but, when you press the start button its dead, if i put the live wire over to the starter wire it will crank over so i thought it was the relay, but still the same with a new one? so i think it might be as Ledj said.

He checked for loose connections a year ago and found one from what I read. There's ways to test a relay and methods to troubleshoot a circuit.

He checked for loose connections a year ago and found one from what I read. There's ways to test a relay and methods to troubleshoot a circuit.

I worked on one that the connector and relay had gotten hot and melted the connector and relay,had to spice a new connector and another relay.

I've got this same problem going on in my '01 as well atm :/ Anyone happen to know where the specific wiring connection he looked at was located, or am I going to be tracing wires? :)

I've got this same problem going on in my '01 as well atm :/ Anyone happen to know where the specific wiring connection he looked at was located, or am I going to be tracing wires? :)

Is it the same? I would check the clutch switch 1st. It is held under the master cyclinder by 1 Philips head screw. Take it off and press the switch fully and try to start.. See what happens.

Back