PowderCoated Rearsets/Pegs Question

Craash

Registered
I had my rearsets and buell pegs powderercoated two weeks ago. I've since put on about 1K miles. The coating on the buell pegs is wearing off, showing the 'shiny' stock finish. Is this normal? Anyway to prevent it?

I either wear joe rocket riding boots, or Damon zip up boots.

Ok, thanks for the info! I just wanted to be sure they 'shouldn't' do that before I went back to him. No one has more expertise on the subject than you, thank you again.

Powder Coating is like painting. Having the pegs done will wear the coating off. Should've had them anodized.. It's a harder finish to not let them wear so easily.

The high ridges on my buell pegs lasted a good 10k before showing wear thru. Had mine done locally.

Powder Coating is like painting. Having the pegs done will wear the coating off. Should've had them anodized.. It's a harder finish to not let them wear so easily.

So you feel that wear at around 1K miles is to be expected? What type of live would anodized pegs have?

So you feel that wear at around 1K miles is to be expected? What type of live would anodized pegs have?

No way, powdercoating is ALOT more durable. Myself and alot of other folks on here have powdercoated pegs from T&M, they look great, and it doesn't wear off. Someone just did a bad job on yours

I'm not saying don't get it done. It should last for a long time if they prep them right and double coat them. Just saying anodizing would be better, but hard to make them match powerdercoated mounts.

No way, powdercoating is ALOT more durable. Myself and alot of other folks on here have powdercoated pegs from T&M, they look great, and it doesn't wear off. Someone just did a bad job on yours

Yea, that was my thought too. Guess the 3 day turn around was to good to be true.

I've got approx 7,000 miles on mine and they have only the slightest scuffs on them .
You have to look really close to see them though.
You should NOT be able to see factory finish anytime soon at all.
Stuff is Tough !
3e1a3e2f.jpg

I've got approx 7,000 miles on mine and they have only the slightest scuffs on them .
You have to look really close to see them though.
You should NOT be able to see factory finish anytime soon at all.
Stuff is Tough !
3e1a3e2f.jpg

I think he is refering to the top of a buell PEG. Not the ankle guard if that is what you are refering to. Looks like you have the rubber topped stock peg?

I dont care how many mils of PC you put on a peg, fact is it will wear off. But 1K of use? Not that soon.

I think he is refering to the top of a buell PEG. Not the ankle guard if that is what you are refering to. Looks like you have the rubber topped stock peg?

I dont care how many mils of PC you put on a peg, fact is it will wear off. But 1K of use? Not that soon.

He says rearsets and Buell pegs ? Yes I have stock rubber topped pegs and my heels/ankles rub onto peg holder and this where my scuffs are from my boot . I see what your saying . If the Buell pegs have nothing on top than the sole of a boot would be rougher on it than my boots are on mine .
Aren't the Buell pegs mounted onto the same peg mounts or wouldn't they be ? Wouldn't the rearsets be same as mine ?
Either way your right it shouldn't be coming of or showing any shiny finish at 1k miles .

Stock rearsets, with Buell Pegs. As you mentioned, there is no rubber on top. I'll talk to the guy that did the powder coating tomorrow and see what he says.

you had a bad powder coating job. I do them very often and have them done to mine with only one coat and i've put 7 k on mine with no wear whatsoever . . either a bad prep job with residue left on the pegs or too lightly sprayed but more than likely the residual residue is the issue. Either way he is to fault and should be REDOING them.

Back