Votes: 36 87.8%
  • 8" extended tail section

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 12" extended tail section

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

oppracing

Registered
Hey everyone, we are planning on manufacturing an extended epoxy carbon fiber Hayabusa tail section. However, we need to know if you would want a 6", 8" or 12" extension. It would be a solo seat (stock rider seat, no passenger seat). We already manufacture full epoxy carbon fiber kits (uppers, lowers, OEM tail sections, solo tail sections, gas tanks, almost everything).

We're trying to determine which extended tail section would be the most popular. Below is a link to the parts that we have.

http://www.oppracing.com/bodywork.php?id=41#94

We are only planning on manufacturing one size. This is only a poll right now and we'd love to have your feedback. If you have any questions, please email me at nickt@oppracing.com.

Thanks.

Nick

bowdown.gif
I hope you guys do,All of the stuff i have got from you is perfect.....Keep up the great work!!!!

do you make custom pieces of heat resistant CF
rock.gif
If so, drop me a note, I have a few ideas that I'd like to find out about
cool.gif

I will say being a bike shop,and dealer for many bodywork companies,it would be no use to just make one size cause the market you are entering is a conscious market.There are guys that race and street ride with 6 & 8 inch over tails.you then have guys that are straight racers that have 8-10-12" over setups that they continuely switch around.Prices and how fast you can get them built will determine what moves.

as goldenchild said the 6'' and longer is pretty well covered,i would like a stock appearing +2'' or 3'' for use with the stock fender,but i am probably in the minority (i just love sleepers)

I visted your web-site.....
"AWESOME"
You have alot of things I have been looking for!
I will sure give you some of my Business!

Thanks for the compliments Girlonbusa and StageRulz. Much appreciated. Just a few notes. We don't make custom parts as moulds are really time-consuming and difficult to make. We do have a new heat-resistant carbon kevlar material but it's not being used for all of our parts. We can recommend a lot of DEI cool tape to shield any heat-sensitive parts. No pictures of a full carbon kit yet. If you have a bike decked out in OPP carbon fiber, we'd definitely appreciate some pictures for the website.

Getting back to the extended swing-arms, we would definitely like to hear more feedback as to which length you would use and why. Our first impression was that we could make just one but GoldenChild's post suggests that there is a lot more to extended tail sections than we first thought. Ultimately, we want to make parts that match all customer needs but as I mentioned above...moulds are really time-consuming and difficult to make and we have to keep up the new bike models.

I think being from back east and now living in the NW doing bikes,it will be hard to target your customers,unless they all have the same mindset and same style characteristics.I would say that if you feel it's not cost effective to do molds,you will have to figure out what market you are attempting to appeal to street guys(4-6" over),show guys(6-8" over),dragrace(8-12" over,all their taste will be different.I have sold a good bit of extended tails and everyone has had a different idea about what they were looking for in a tail.Some folks went for looks,quality,best price,sleekness and time to get item in hand.If you pick a size like say 7" over and combine all the stuff they were looking for you will be
wow.gif
at how well they sell.

Hey fella's , Patrik and the guys are one of the coolest guys to work with glad to have them on the board. Have OPP products on all my bikes and super pleased with the fit and finish . As good as stock fitting. Also thanks for helping me with the next project........TOP SECRET......... Thanks again Brian
aaa001.jpg

If you want to get into a extended tail market,make a killing and can do it fast the 03-04 gsxr 1000 market is suffering from noone making an extended tail for them.I will also say you should try some tails that have the stepped seat pan built into it if you try and tackle the dragrace market.

I think your biggest problem is going to be trying to compete with Catalyst with the extended tails, since most of the drag racers already use their product and are VERY happy with the price and quality. Good luck in what ever you decide.
smile.gif

03-04 gsxr 1000 carbon fiber seat pans and extended 6" over gsxr 1k tails remember me when you get rich,cause if i had the money and material I would have them built in two weeks and be eating the market alive.You have to keep your ear to the streets in this business.Good Luck and I'm out.I just gave away the million dollar secret.
tounge.gif

Thanks for the compliment and the pic Brian! Much appreciated.

Regarding the Busa extended tail sections, I doubt we'd make a killing on extended tail sections. The demand has been quite small but we hate to disappoint customers. A lot of customers wished that we offered an extended tail section.  We take pride in having a large selection of bodywork.

Regarding Catalyst, we would competing on different levels. Our bodywork is only carbon fiber and epoxy resin. Having only carbon fiber and epoxy resin results in a product that is extremely light, flexible and durable. The drawback is that epoxy resin is expensive (7x more expensive than polyester resin) and very difficult to work with. Catalyst uses a mixture of fiberglass, carbon fiber and polyester resin.  By having hidden layers of fiberglass, you compromise the strength and weight of the part - it's heavier, less flexible and less durable. Polyester resin is very inexpensive but it is prone to shrinkage and contributes to the spider-cracking problem. Manufacturers that make their moulds with polyester resin (which shrink over time) have parts that come out warped and don't install correctly.

Sorry about the long reply but we are trying to educate people about the differences between our epoxy carbon fiber and the other polyester products available. We posted a FAQ called "Carbon Fiber 101" on our website that explains the differences with pictures: http://www.oppracing.com/opp_pages.php?page=carbon_fiber_101

Whew...that was a long post.

I think if you're going to only make one kind of extended tail then 6" is a good compromise. What really helps is if you have an undertail with lots of tire clearance as well. A complete tail section that can truly be bolted in and retain stock/OE components is very important.

Good luck with it. Your company makes very good quality products. Now if the lead times could just be reduced it would benefit everyone.

Back