Issue with non-standard tail lights and passenger seat

Kangle

Registered
It was a beautiful weekend here in Western MA, but not so much for me and the busa. My inspection expires at the end of this month and I couldn't get an updated sticker on Friday because I switched to an integrated tail light with blinkers. They passed me last year but no go this time around. No biggie, I figured this would be an issue at some point because they want your blinkers spaced 6" apart. The only reason I have avoided the issue is because the bike is lowered with a relocated plate and there is no good place to mount them unless I put them in the tail fairing and I'm avoiding that like the plague. Besides, I'm not even sure if that is a viable solution.

So I picked up a pair of K&S 25-7500 markers at a local bike shop along with a Targa license plate mount. The original battery tray was cut and hacked by the previous owner when the air ride was installed because it would otherwise rub against the wide tire that is installed. I purchased a replacement tray awhile back and quickly figured out why it was cut in the first place when I tried to install the replacement two years ago. So with my hand forced, I took a second stab at it and figured I would cut as little as possible with the hope I would have enough plastic in the rear to mount the plate holder. I know it's going to rest on or very close to the tire when I let the air out but that's fine.

So I spent more than half the day on Saturday replacing the tray, installing the plate mount and blinkers, lubing the chain, re-organizing my wires and cleaning the bike. I give everything a final test this morning and head out the door to my bro-in-laws house so we can go for a ride. He's literally no more than 2 miles from my house. I pull up in the driveway and let the air out slowly to the point where it's low enough and safe to use the kickstand. I get off and take a look at tail section to see how it's sitting on the tire and notice the left blinker glass is nowhere to be found. Completely gone. I test the blinker and it still flashes but I can't take a chance riding like this because you never know how the boys in blue are going to react. Frustrated at this point, I figured I may as well hang up my helmet and go cool off. I go to take off the seat pillion and I'm thinking to myself, man the lock seems loose. I turn, and turn, and turn, but nothing. Then it hits me. In my haste to get the bike back together this morning, I don't ever remember connecting the locking cable. D@mn, can't believe I did that!!!

So I have a broken tail light and don't know what caused it to break. I had plenty of air when I took off so I doubt anything could have hit the tire while I was riding. It never has in the past and I don't think the extra inch or two I added would lead to that issue now. Could it have been caused by the vibration of the bike? Maybe it was too loose? And of course I have no access to the rear seat. And I potentially still need to look for an alternative to mount a set of blinkers or I'll have to keep the bike parked.

Sorry for the drawn out post. I'm just very frustrated right now. I'll post up pics of the tail when I get back home so you can understand what I'm dealing with.

Back