Post recall cut out (at the f\'ing strip no less!)

OB_mbuehler

Registered
Second pass of the day, I was approaching 8000 rpm's in first when whammo! The engine cut out causing me to faceplant into my windscreen. It immediately came back on so I shifted to second, where it died two more times. Freaked out, I shifted to third and nursed it over the line. Heading back to the pits it shut off completely and refusd to start. It would turn over, occasional firing up for a second then shutting off again. The indicator instead of showing 'check' just displayed the clock when it wasn't started. After letting it sit for 20 min, it seemed to correct itself. Any idea what this was all about? I've had the recall done, and hadn't experienced a cutout since.

Still beat the guy I was racing (flat track bike, so no worries :) ) . Any thoughts on this, or is it back to the dealer for me?

It could very well be back to the dealer.
THOUGHT: I posted a thread on leaving off the insulation around the fuel pump/ regulator. The gist of replies was have insulation there, How is yours?
I did my filter and replaced 'O' rings myself
(post recall s/n). Cost is about $70 for parts. Nothing looked too bad in there, there was minor fouling of the screen under the regulator. Good luck!!

In the SB 109 they make no mention of the fuel strainer that is in between the fuel pump and the fuel regulator.

If you had the service bulletins done, they did not change this part as it is not mentioned in the Bulletin's or part of the 109 service kit.

Mine was plugged nearly solid at the time of the bulletins, at that time I had the part in hand as I ordered all the parts myself when Suzuki was still d*cking around with their corporate lawyers on the way they were going to handle the 108,109 issues.

CHANGE YOUR STRAINER !!!!!

PUMP ASSEMBLY Diagram part # 26

Part # 15165-24F00, SCREEN FUEL STRAINER

Thanks! The dealer close to me is booked solid until mid march, and the next available guy says they won't warranty another shops warranty work. Arrrgh!
I haven't touched that part of the bike, so I'm assuming the insulation is still on there. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Do you know if that new fuel screen part you listed the number for is any different then the one shipped with my bike from the factory? Given how gummed up the others were, that sounds like a likely cause of the problem.

If there's an availability problem with the strainer (screen) just blow it out with an air hose. Do, however, have the new 'O' rings in hand before you start the job. One big, odd shaped one for the body, one for under the regulator, one from pump to filter, one for the filter retainer. And that filter element HAS to be one of the most overpriced components I've run across. I guess Suzuki gave away so many for SB 108 and 109 that they are recouping the expense from the rest of us.

Hold on a second:
You bought the bike from the dealer and they said it's 2 months till you can get in for this.Call the sales Manager and see what happens.Or the owner.
Sh** if this was our customer we have to drop what we are doing an get on it.I don't like it but warranty comes before customer pay work at our shop.

Gave the shop a ring back and talked to a mechanic for a bit. He sounded kind of lost, and gave me a few things to try out, and if that doesn't work, back in she goes (though I don't know the turnaround time). They aren't the shop I got the bike from, but I do all my purchasing for both bandits and the busa through these guys (lots of money here!), so almost always they will make time. Looks like I got the new guy last time I called :)

Mbeulher: After my recall was done a while back my busa did the same thing. After raising the tank the fuel line was in a slight bend that was causing the bike to do that. Once I got the bend out the busa has been fine ever since.

Back