Sudden cut-outs

OB_rdalmau

Registered
So far, I have only seen one other internet posting concerning "sudden ignition cutout." See below: by Davy Wyatt in Pennsylvania in USA. He is a high mileage rider and his problem seems to have started occurring recently, but I don't know the current state of his problem.

Subject: Re: [Hayabusa] "Cutting out"
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 17:54:32 -0400
Reply-To:
Hayabusa@onelist.com
To:
Hayabusa@onelist.com
References:
1 , 2 , 3

Yes the engine just dies and must be restarted, it happened with a just filled
tank to almost empty. However the tach needle does not drop to zero indicating an ignition problem. The bike has thus far always restarted immediately. And sometimes I did not see this condition again that day. Sometimes I did see the condition again shortly there after. Go Figure?
Anyhow 7,425 miles of pure riding enjoyment;yesterday a Cop stopped by a
dyno shootout saw the bike and immediately Asked how Fast/He said he had had
a Zx10 some years back I replied I had see 60 mph 3x's (3 X 60 =180) But
that was in a different State.He asked to set on it and wants a Copper Yes
Copper on bad.
Thanks davey
Richard L Dalmau wrote:

> From: Richard L Dalmau <rdalmau@herald.infi.net>
>
> >> From: Dave Wyatt <Davey@cvn.net>
>
> It has shut off at 4,000rpm 5-6 times durning a recent road trip and
> today when I was hard braking and once in Chiago traffic. <<
>
> Question:
>
> Dave, by "shut off," do you mean the engine stalled and had to be
> restarted or that it hesitated, coughed & sputtered?
>
> I've noticed if the fuel gauge is near the red zone and you break, turn
> or accelerate hard, you'll get a sputtering.
>
> RD
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> With more than 17 million e-mails exchanged daily...
> http://www.onelist.com
> ...ONElist is THE place where the world talks!
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Suddenly everything else seems like prey.

A UK rider has contacted me to say his Abusa sometimes cuts out. It is an intermittent fault which happens when the bike is warm, and he's charging at 9000rpm in third. It drops to 3000rpm for a couple of seconds aand then cuts back in. Scarey or what. His dealer can't replicate the fault so can't fix it.
Any ideas?
Post answers here and/or go to http://members.tripod.com/Suzuki_Hayabusa
there's a link back to this site

I don't know if this helps but when I picked my Bus up I drove it straight home (4 miles) and then couldn't really get it started again that evening. When it did start it would just die (cut out completely) within about 15 yards...then the FI light came on and I put her away for the night. I called the dealer in the morning and they told me to try it again as long as the FI light didn't come on when I turned the ignition. It didn't and I've not had a problem since. I've since been back to the dealer to discuss the problem and they told me that I need to give it more revs. To say that I am embarrased that I had to be told to give it some more gun is an understatement. Suffice to say that I was happy to oblige and haven't had a problem since. This is really just advice for new owners who might be taking it a bit too steady like I did. How it relates to the problems posted on this thread I don't know...but there you have it.

Just to post an update...my Busa has started cutting out again. I'm an owner in the UK. Despite my posting above I'm now convinced that it's a heat related problem and nothing to do with giving it handfulls of revs. My bike was fine until yesterday when it cut out when cruising through town (outside temp around 75). Once it dies it'll start again ok but die again soon after. The only cure is to let it sit for about 45 minutes or to find a long straight and let some air wash over the bike for a couple of minutes. Thereafter it's like nothing ever happened. My temp gauge has never gone above halfway and the fan comes on right on time. My bike is showing about 350 miles right now but has cut out at the 4 mile and 300 mile mark. Both times as a result of crawling through traffic in heat. I'm sure it's not getting clogged up due to lack of action because I can give it all the revs I like when I restart it but it doesn't make any difference. Air-flow is the cure (on my nike anyway). Hopefully this will go away with time and miles.

To clarify a little. The guy who contacted me says his is dropping revs while running, I guess cutting out... and then cutting back in again with reasonably high revs restored. Scares me just to think about it.
His original complaint is on my Hayabusa site. Check out the guestbook, he's one of the earlier entries.
Find it at:
members.tripod.com/Suzuki_Hayabusa

there is a link back to this site

--->DC I've visited your web site on a number of occasions and there’s some good stuff on there – well done. Unfortunately I always have problems either viewing or signing your guestbook - server errors and the like. The problem Simon is having with cut-outs sounds exactly like the problem I've had. I'm certain that his engine does cut out completely rather than take a momentary dip. My engine cuts-out completely just as if I’d hit the kill switch but I'm usually at very low revs at the time. However, on one occasion when it died at a higher speed I accidentally let the clutch out whilst in gear (which was nice) and the bikes forward momentum restarted the engine giving the impression of just a momentary loss of power as opposed to a complete shutdown. I have a spyball patriot alarm fitted but I’m not ready to blame this yet. I’m thinking heat right now. I shall bring this problem to the attention of the dealer at the bikes first service and if they have any ideas I’ll give Simon a call. I’ll also post their suggestions on this board. David, assuming the owner of this board has no objections then please feel free to re-post my messages onto your own web site. I’d do it myself but as I said I’m having trouble getting in.

Back