Possible transmission problem

dlisabeth

Registered
I have a 1999 busa motor in my sandrail and I have a problem which is getting worse. The problem seems to only occur in gears 3rd and up when I am on the throttle, as soon as I let off the throttle it completely disappears. It almost feels like a studdering if that makes sense. It has gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if I am accelerating up a dune or just on the throttle maintaining a constant speed on flat ground it does it. It also seems to be happening in the 4-6k rpm range and almost goes away above that. I thought it was the clutch slipping so I installed APE's HD springs and the problem is still there. It started out as an intermittent thing but is now pretty much constant.

Any ideas? Could something in the tranny be bent which would affect gears 3 and up? I am kind of at a loss here and any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Here is a picture of the car.

P1010210.JPG

I had a problem with my 02 dying out after 7000k rpm in every gear, turned out to be a failing fuel pump that was replaced under warranty. Also had a 2nd gear , and only 2nd gear, slip. Turned out to be a bent shift fork, it too was replaced under warranty.

(Gunnybusa @ May 11 2007,19:32) I had a problem with my 02 dying out after 7000k rpm in every gear, turned out to be a failing fuel pump that was replaced under warranty. Also had a 2nd gear , and only 2nd gear, slip. Turned out to be a bent shift fork, it too was replaced under warranty.
Dang Gunny, you have had the best luck with warranty, I am gonna get that same one,
as soon as I find out which one you have.
laugh.gif

The car pulls hard in 1st and second at any rpm, and there is no slipping in 2nd. That is what has me puzzled. There is also a chance that it could be something to do with my axles but I am trying to look into both possibilities and learn more about the motor at the same time.

(dlisabeth @ May 11 2007,17:02) I have a 1999 busa motor in my sandrail and I have a problem which is getting worse.  The problem seems to only occur in gears 3rd and up when I am on the throttle, as soon as I let off the throttle it completely disappears.  It almost feels like a studdering if that makes sense.  It has gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if I am accelerating up a dune or just on the throttle maintaining a constant speed on flat ground it does it.  It also seems to be happening in the 4-6k rpm range and almost goes away above that.  I thought it was the clutch slipping so I installed APE's HD springs and the problem is still there.  It started out as an intermittent thing but is now pretty much constant.

Any ideas?  Could something in the tranny be bent which would affect gears 3 and up?  I am kind of at a loss here and any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek
Check your fuel pressure...could be a bad fuel pump or filter
wink.gif

(BusaDale @ May 11 2007,18:17)
(Gunnybusa @ May 11 2007,19
zzwhip.gif
) I had a problem with my 02 dying out after 7000k rpm in every gear, turned out to be a failing fuel pump that was replaced under warranty. Also had a 2nd gear , and only 2nd gear, slip. Turned out to be a bent shift fork, it too was replaced under warranty.
Dang Gunny, you have had the best luck with warranty, I am gonna get that same one,    
as soon as I find out which one you have.
laugh.gif
Western Service Contract Corp
3601 HavenAvenue
Menlo Park ca 94025
800-543-5225

(dlisabeth @ May 12 2007,18:31) I am pretty sure it is not fuel pressure related because that would affect all gears.  Wouldn't it?
Yes and it would happen at about the same rpm range in each gear while you where pulling hard. What type of oil are you using?

(Gunnybusa @ May 13 2007,06:02)
(dlisabeth @ May 12 2007,18:31) I am pretty sure it is not fuel pressure related because that would affect all gears.  Wouldn't it?
Yes and it would happen at about the same rpm range in each gear while you where pulling hard. What type of oil are you using?
I am running the Honda 10w-40.

(dlisabeth @ May 13 2007,11:flamethrowing:)
(Gunnybusa @ May 13 2007,06:02)
I am running the Honda 10w-40.
For MC's, not for cars right?

After scanning through every thread in this category I came up with another possible cause. I am thinking that maybe a section of the chain stretched and is causing this surging feeling in my driveline. I am going to try to figure out how to check this over the weekend.

Back