Possible problem with rear end

groran1000

Registered
I noticed since I bought my 2009 busa. When I'm coming in garage to park, where it's quiet. I noticed and can hear a click noise sounds like from the rear end. As I come in, I let clutch out a little and pull back in several times as I enter garage. It sounds like the chain is slapping or something like that as let the clutch out, but my chain is tight to spec. You think the cush drive or whatever it's called is worn. Also, as I let the clutch out, there seems to be a lag or like the chain has a lot of slack and has to tighten. I described best I could. Bike has about 8900 miles, thanks

Check your front brake rotors. Grasp the rotor with thumb & forefinger and see if you can get any fore & aft movement or roll the bike ahead or back and squeeze the brake lever if you have loose rotor you will hear a click when the brake is applied.

chain can be shot or wheel could be not aligned making the chain hit the sprocket crooked. check sprocket teeth for wear.

Yep make sure the chain is tight aligned and not worn. Seriously doubt cush drive rubbers.

Ok, checked all the suggestions, and here what I found. The previous owner had the chain adjusted 3 marks on one side and 4 marks on the other. So I put them both at the same mark. Also, the main axle nut wasn't very tight and could have twisted out of the same adjustment on both sides. One thing I did notice though was when I put bike in first gear, not running of course to check the rubbers bushing play, I noticed that the whole assembly, chain, rear end and all would move about 4 inches while turning the wheel before it would lock or engage the transmission, turning both ways. I hope that makes sense. Another way, put rear wheel on stand, put in first gear, spin wheel and wheel turns 4 inches before stopping and 4 inches the other way before stopping or hitting the transmission. Is this normal. thanks to all who advised me. Thanks to dad of three saying something before I ordered the rubber bushes.

Ok, checked all the suggestions, and here what I found. The previous owner had the chain adjusted 3 marks on one side and 4 marks on the other. So I put them both at the same mark. Also, the main axle nut wasn't very tight and could have twisted out of the same adjustment on both sides. One thing I did notice though was when I put bike in first gear, not running of course to check the rubbers bushing play, I noticed that the whole assembly, chain, rear end and all would move about 4 inches while turning the wheel before it would lock or engage the transmission, turning both ways. I hope that makes sense. Another way, put rear wheel on stand, put in first gear, spin wheel and wheel turns 4 inches before stopping and 4 inches the other way before stopping or hitting the transmission. Is this normal. thanks to all who advised me. Thanks to dad of three saying something before I ordered the rubber bushes. Bikerboy had it on the button.

are you still clicking?
some play back and forth is normal. if you haven't replaced the chain and sprockets and crush drive, you might want to think about it. it is a pretty easy job and even if that is not your problem, you should not have to worry about them for another 10,000mi or so.

I had a chain link freeze on me last year. it made a wonderful popping sound, that seemed to disappear at speed.
until it got real bad.
then I was jubing my chain at speed in the fear I would bust a chain before I reached civilization again.

sooo, if your still clickin. check your chain.
:beerchug:

Don't trust those markers. Suzuki engineers/marker painters drink too much. They're pissed on the job and those markers never line up true.

Back