Possible Problem

NickSully

Donating Member
Registered
I have an 09 with about 1900 miles on it now. After I did my 600 mile service and switched to Amsoil 10w40 oil I noticed a clicking sound coming from the bike. I thought it might have been the clutch bolt issue so I took the clutch cover off and put thread lock on all 6 bolts. The sound still occurs so I took it to the dealer and one of the mechanics listened to the bike and said it was probably nothing but if I wanted to know more I would have to leave it with them and they would have to charge me for looking at it.

Well I bought a mechanics stethoscope and I do believe the sound is coming from the clutch. When I put the stethoscope up to the clutch cover I hear the sound very well. When I put the stethoscope on other parts of the bike, like the exhaust ports, I don't hear the sound as well. However, I don't really know if this is how you're suppose to use the stethoscope or not.

When I was around an 08 this weekend I didn't hear the sound coming from the 08 at all so I feel like my bike is doing something it is not suppose to do. What other things should I check for? I don't really like the dealers around here so I would like to fix this myself if possible.

Also, if it helps, the sound does speed up with increase throttle but around 4000 RPM I can't hear it any more due to other engine noise.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
The switch to synthetic might be why you are hearing it. I just switched this past week, and there is a noticable difference in engine noise.

I've searched on here and other busa websites and that seems to be the consensus. Unless it is really loud, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

document the visit to the dealer and the "we will look but we will charge" thing in case it grenades and comes to warranty...

just CYA is all...

I have an 09 with about 1900 miles on it now. After I did my 600 mile service and switched to Amsoil 10w40 oil I noticed a clicking sound coming from the bike. I thought it might have been the clutch bolt issue so I took the clutch cover off and put thread lock on all 6 bolts. The sound still occurs so I took it to the dealer and one of the mechanics listened to the bike and said it was probably nothing but if I wanted to know more I would have to leave it with them and they would have to charge me for looking at it.

Well I bought a mechanics stethoscope and I do believe the sound is coming from the clutch. When I put the stethoscope up to the clutch cover I hear the sound very well. When I put the stethoscope on other parts of the bike, like the exhaust ports, I don't hear the sound as well. However, I don't really know if this is how you're suppose to use the stethoscope or not.

When I was around an 08 this weekend I didn't hear the sound coming from the 08 at all so I feel like my bike is doing something it is not suppose to do. What other things should I check for? I don't really like the dealers around here so I would like to fix this myself if possible.

Also, if it helps, the sound does speed up with increase throttle but around 4000 RPM I can't hear it any more due to other engine noise.

Thanks for any input.

Put a loud exhaust on the bike and just ride the pi$$ out of it :laugh:

This is a solid lifter motor that is intrinsically noisy. Thats why they put 10 lbs of noise insulation on the side pannels. There is a reason why all automobilies have hydraulic lifters; because most cage riders would complain. The synthetic oil may very likely make this noise slightly louder, but its probably not a problem.

Turn up the volume on your iPod. The sound from the engine will go away.

I had this same issue when I switched to Synthetic Oil (Elf). Dealer check clutch and everything is okay. Also I want to mention there is a clicking when the bike is cold but that is just the idle control. It stops once the bike is warmed up.

I find it hard to understand why a good synthetic oil will amplify noise. Really the only difference is that the base oil has more equally sized molecules, which in theory should result in better sound insulation, although negligible.

Could it be that you have a valve on the clutch engine side which has a little too much clearance?

If you are really worried about it, take it to the dealer and have him look.
Tell him no more than 2 hours and then you are really covered. JMO

I find it hard to understand why a good synthetic oil will amplify noise. Really the only difference is that the base oil has more equally sized molecules, which in theory should result in better sound insulation, although negligible.

Could it be that you have a valve on the clutch engine side which has a little too much clearance?

I have a hard time understanding this too but that's when the noise started. As soon as I changed oil and started the bike I noticed it.

Back