Position for Powerlet Connectors

Rosso

Registered
Hi All,
I am trying to work out the best way to organise the electrical rig up for various devices like GPS, Autocom, mp3 player etc on my 2009 Hayabusa. Im going to be doing some touring with my gf so this really about a two person set up. Any good advice or problems to avoid?

Im thinking of using Powerlet to run the following
(a) Garmin GPS
(b) Iphone/ mp3 player
(c) Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket and trousers - for driver and or pillion.
(d) Autocom

If anyone has set up such a rig, I would love hear how you did it.

Where is the best position for the powerlet connectors? My guess is that the closer to the body the less hassle there will be with cables..

Drivers stuff: Autocom -iphone/mp3- and heated kit connectors tucked out at the front from under the drivers seat?

Passenger stuff:
Ive never ridden pillon with autocom or other wired stuff. I guess ideally you dont want wiring running accross your legs, so perhaps the best place is out the front of the rear seat?

sorry..dont have that fancy stuff...mp3 player and thermal underwear...and...paper map!! lol.

My Autocomm is under the passenger seat, for power I tapped into the rear riding light. Wires come out the front of the passenger seat works great for girlfriend and me. The MP3 plugs into the autocomm so no power source or extra wire was needed for my set up.
I do not have the heated suits, I was going to get some until I did a little research and with the stuff I alreay have pulling on my battery I would need to ungrade the charging system to handle them. Thats something you make want to check into if you are going to have all this hooked up esspecially if your getting two heated suits.
I have a tomtom I am getting ready to put on the bike as soon as I find a mount that I like. My plan is to hook the 12 volt lighter plug up to the battery and leave it under the seat then run my tom tom wire from the plug under the seat to the front forks. That way when I am not running the Tom Tom the only thing you will see a little plug that should be easy to hide.
Alot of people on here that I saw at the Busa Bash had a 12volt plug attached infront of their triple tree.
Good luckand post pics when you get it all finished

I have a Gen II, so this may not apply to you.

Starcom - Powered by switched power in the rear and mounted under the rear seat. The plugs come out toward the front of the bike just under the passenger seat. This set up works well for my wife and I.

GPS - Powered by switched power from front of bike and a shielded 3.5mm cable ran to Starcom in rear under the tank. To make things easier with the mounting of the GPS, I cut the cigarette plug off the end of the wire and hard wired it into switched power on the bike. When the GPS is not being used, I tuck the power cable under the triple tree with a velcro strap and leave it there. I have not had any problems with this set up and it makes things a lot easier when staying at lodging for the evening.

MP3 - 3.5mm cable ran to Starcom from passengers leg as I do not feel comfortable messing with it while steering the bike. She acts as DJ and I pilot. This is also hooked into the Starcom.

Heated gear plugs - Mine come up under the rider seat and is just between the tank and seat. The passenger comes up the same place as the Starcom plugs under the passenger seat toward the front of the bike.

I did not want to have the heated plug for me in the rear as I do not always use it. Only when it is raining and very cold out. Although, the wife likes to have hers just about anytime is it not hot out.

Last edited:
Back